Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool am I on the right track?

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Illinois

New Pool am I on the right track?

Pool has been full and running for two days. I took my water sample to the pool store. They used some kind of a computer to do the analysis.

Here are the numbers they gave me.

Total Chlorine 4.3
    Free Chlorine 4.3
    PH 7.2
    Total Alkalinity 140
    Calcium Hardness 225
    Stabilizer 0 ( I have two lbs in a sock...I understand it may take a week for it to show up)

So am I on the right track here for now? If not what changes do I need to make?

Thanks in advance

1) 8500 Gallons (18 foot, 52 inches deep)
    2) Hayward Cartridge Filter
    3) Above Ground Pool
    4) Hayward 2 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Jamestown, ND

Re: New Pool am I on the right track?

TA is a bit high. I would use some mauriatic acid to bring it down. Read Pool School and it will explain the process in order to do this. Stabalizer needs to increase and you could use Dichlor chlorine to accomplish this and be able to add chlorine into the pool at the same time.

Getting to understand the different kinds of chlorine, their uses, and purposes is really important and can really save you money throughout the year. When I shock the pool, I always use bleach. Its the cheapest and has nothing in it to mess with my numbers.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool:

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: New Pool am I on the right track?

Because your pH is 7.2 I wouldn't worry about your TA right now. If it pushes your pH up then adjust it back to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8.
    Just maintain your FC to your targeted CYA since it's been in a day or two.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit