Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Powder chlorine go bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Powder chlorine go bad?

Another kind of odd question..

I use HTH Powder Chlorine in my pool. Is it possible for the chlorine to go bad if I keep the leftover in the pail (assuming the pail is closed properly) and use it again next year?
    SW Ontario
    16 x 32 in-ground pool (vinyl liner)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida
    No problemo.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    And on that note - is there a benefit to using the liquid bleach over the powder chlorine (price?)... Thanks for the response!
    SW Ontario
    16 x 32 in-ground pool (vinyl liner)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD
    Bleach doesn't add anything to the pool that you don't want added. Powdered chlorine adds either CYA or calcium (depending on which kind you have).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Fremont, CA
    Powder chlorine if not stored properly (read airtight) will loose its effectiveness over time due to exposure to sunlight/temp changes/Humidity. This will corrode most metals. The previous owner of my pool had some corrosion issues with his metal pool shed which went away after he stored the chlorine outside the shed.

my 0.2 cents..
    16,000 G in ground Gunnite (plastered) with attached Spa, Gemini 3 NG Heater, Sta-rite cartridge filter, Aquabot Mark V, TF test kit