Nearing end of conversion and pool is clear, but still green

Jul 23, 2010
Hope you all can help :) We began our conversion on Saturday, July 24th and for the last two nights (Thursday and Friday) our FC held at 15ppm so my husband cleaned the filter and we added the CYA last night (Friday). I checked the levels today and they are the following:

FC 15
CC 6
TC 21
pH 6.8
TA 110
CH 100
CYA 22

The pH is low, so should I add the Borax. The pool guy, whom I won't go back to see, gave me some pH plus and said to add that. Would that work or should I just add the Borax based on the amount needed using Jason's calculator. I am using the Taylor TF-100 test kit, our pool is an above ground with vinyl liner that holds 12,000 gallons of water. Set it up in 2008 with Baquacil and was fine the first season, but last year it turned cloudy about towards the end of the summer and this year turned cloudy a month into the season. My hubby changed the sand right before the conversion because we were told by the lady at the pool store to do so to get rid of the cloudy water. This was back when we were trying to keep with the Baquacil. Please pardon my inexperience with chlorine and testing, this is all new to me. I had pretty much mastered the testing for Baquacil, but am having to learn all about chlorine. My hubby added 68 gallons (I think) so far of bleach. It looks really clear, just green. I hope I haven't totally messed this up. Last Saturday before my hubby added the bleach, he added a non chlorine shock that the guy at the pool store told him to add and he had the week prior been putting a chlorine tablet in the skimmer everytime the one prior dissolved. Could the low pH be making it green. Thanks so much!

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to do is to bring th PH up to at least 7.2. Borax is your best choice because it doesn't raise TA as much, though the PH Up will work.

A clear transparent green is probably metals in the water. You might want to leave that alone until the CC level comes down,but eventually you will want to add some sequestrant, if it doesn't clear up on it's own.

It would be best to change the sand again at this point. Much of the goo from the conversion will be in the sand at this point and take forever to break down completely if you don't remove it.

Thanks so much for the response. I will add the Borax and wait for the CC to go down if I do indeed need to add the sequestrant. Thanks for the warm welcome and the information I have found on this site has been so helpful.

Thanks again - I'll post pictures soon.

The green cleared out and it is crystal clear. Should I still be adding bleach. I checked my numbers last night and they are the following:

FC 8
CC 2.5
pH 7.4
CYA 5

Should I need to go ahead and add more stabilizer? It held steady around 50ppm and dropped way down over Tuesday night. We haven't added any bleach in a few days and I wasn't sure if I should be adding more bleach to get the CCs down or if that would happen on it's own. Once the numbers are where they should be then I can switch over to a maintenance plan. From what I have read it sounds like some folks are sticking with using bleach instead of the chlorine pucks. Thanks so much for all of your help!

I just wanted to add that I believe I misinterpreted the instructions for conversion. We waited until our pool held at 15ppm of FC overnight and added the CYA thinking that we just need to wait for the CC to reach .5. I realize now that we should have waited to add the CYA until the FC held at 15ppm overnight AND the CC dropped to .5. It is crystal clear so I am thinking this should only be a few more days until the conversion is complete.

Thanks so much for your help! I just called the hubby to have him add more bleach so I will check when I get home. I am not a chemist by any stretch of the imagination but what I understand from reading the very helpful information is that we need to continue to shock the pool until it gets all of the Baquacil stuff out and that will be indicated by the virtual lack of CCs.

I meant to report back sooner - finally finished with the conversion back around August 11ish and the water has been crystal clear and sparkling ever since. Thanks so much for all your advice and assistance. So glad I found this website.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.