Use of Marine Paint on pool steps

Apr 14, 2009
Interlux Brightside polyurethane marine paint was used by a contractor to paint my pool steps this off season, and now it is peeling. I am planning to partially drain and have it re-painted after this season.

Safety data that I can find seems to relate to the paints application. Does anyone know anything about the safety of these paint peelings in my pool? I have two kids, age 3 and 5. Should I take care of this now?

Thanks

I own a marine supply store and sell the Brightside Polyurethane. It really shouldn't be used on fiberglass that is always submerged in water (like pool steps). I know that sounds weird since it is used on boats but it's meant for boat sides and inside that isn't always "in" the water. When you are ready to paint them again, use Interlux Perfection instead. It will hold up much better.
As far as the safety information, did you try their website: www.yachtpaint.com or their technical service #1-800-468-7589

Thank you lynns.

I'll give them a call re the toxicity of the flakes, and I'll give this to the pool guy who used the paint on my steps.

Do you think the paints made for pools should be used vice marine paints?

Honestly, I'm not familiar with pool paint. Assuming the steps are fiberglass, I don't see a problem using marine paint. You just need to choose the right one. Perfection is a 2-part paint (like epoxy). This is the type of paint you want to use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.