Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pictorial history of our pools construction (Sunnyvale, CA)

1. Back To Top    #1

Pictorial history of our pools construction (Sunnyvale, CA)

I hope this is the right place to post this:

http://web.me.com/bilbrey/Pool_Renovation/Welcome.html

Enjoy!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pictorial history of our pools construction (Sunnyvale, CA)

Awesome pool...welcome to TFP
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Party at Bilbrey's house!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Awesome pool...welcome to TFP
    Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

Excellent - thanks for sharing. Looks like a labor of love.
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

6. Back To Top    #6

The company ('Aqua pool and spa' out of Manteca, CA) that built our pool just went out of business. (Bankruptcy)
    So there goes our warranty and our prepaid service...

But, looking to the positive side, at least the pool is in good shape.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Why did it take so long?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    Why did it take so long?
    Too build the pool? Well, in hindsight, I suppose they were having trouble all along. They were letting construction teams go.
    They were 'juggling' teams between projects.

But "Aqua" did the entire back yard. Concrete hardscaping, landscaping, lighting, the palapa, and of course the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

What an awesome pool / backyard oasis! I really enjoyed viewing your construction pics and reading the commentary.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, the pool is done, we have been enjoying it, but I ended up getting a little screwed...

In late August, Aqua Pool and Spa went bankrupt. They were good to me, but there were a couple of 'punch list' items we were working on that I now have to finish myself, and I prepaid for 3 years of pool service, and you can imagine that is out the window.

I'm still very happy with our pool and we have recently finished a matching BBQ island.

11. Back To Top    #11

Congratulations, doubly!

Congratulations on your beautiful pool and back yard oasis. You did a fine job on that photo history of the build.

Although it is most unfortunate that you have lost the prepaid pool service and must finish a few items on your own, I know you are counting your blessings. There are many folks whose pools were mid-build when the company failed. Can you imagine being half-way there and then nothing? Yikes!

I am envious of your weather--you never have to close your beautiful pool, do you!?

Lana, sadly looking at a Loop-Loc cover....
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

12. Back To Top    #12

Great looking yard, Bilbrey

We had a pool company go BK here a couple years ago (Hallmark Pools) and they left 52 (IIRC) people in various stages of "incompletion". Worse still, they did not pay the subs, so the homeowners were on the hook to pay them, even though they had made the progress payments to the pool company. One guy told me that he had paid all but 10% of his total contract, and all he had was a gunite shell! Then the gunite company sued him for the gunite (+/- $10,000.00) since they had not been paid, and he had to pay it! Very sad.

Sorry to hear you lost out on a bit of service, but you do have a beautiful retreat. Enjoy!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Lana537, simicrintz,

You are both correct that we were fortunate that they completed most of the pool for us before going bankrupt.
    Aqua left 52 pools in various stages of completion.

I should have seen the writing on the wall though, three years ago they did 1,200 pools a year, two years ago they did 600, a year ago they did 300... The economy was not their friend.

But I am counting my blessings and we are very happy with the pool. The little bit that I'm finishing up is just small details.

I do feel sorry for the folks that got caught mid construction.

14. Back To Top    #14

Hmm, Hallmark and Aqua both left 52 pools in mid-construction.
    Weird.