Filter/pump died? -- NEW PROBLEM

ElkPool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Elkridge, MD
Went out to test the pool tonight and noticed the filter wasn't on.

Went out to the filter and pump, and saw the switch was in the ON position. Went inside and checked the electrical panel, and reset the circuits in question.

Now, when I try and turn on the filter, I get the power noise...kind of like when you turn on a garbage disposal but something's jammed in there...and I get a bit of bubbling and stuff, but no real action.

I already tried filling up completely with water and turning on. One time I got a BIT of water motion, but it died down quickly.

I cleaned the basket in both my filter and the skimmer.

What's odd is, this seems like it's a weird time for it to go. It was 100 degrees plus last weekend, but the filter was working fine. And, I've been gradually cleaning stuff out of my pool for two months now, but for the last week or so it's been 99% clean. I cleaned the cartridge filter not two weeks ago, and the pressure is normal.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Re: Filter/pump died?

The impeller is the circular blade that pumps the water....it's just inside the pump strainer basket.

You can usually remove the basket and stick you hand inside the intake and feel if there is any obstruction there.

Re: Filter/pump died?

OK, I spun the impeller around a little bit, and that part seems to work now. Thanks for the tip!

Now the problem is there's not enough water, or too much air, in the system. When I start the filter now, all the water gets sucked out and I just hear grinding. I have had a hose in there filling for half an hour now, and it still happens :?: :?: :?: I can't tell what the problem is...can anyone help?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a guess, but it sounds like you may have a 2 part cause/effect problem. You may have an air leak on the suction side. This would keep the pump from priming. If this leak were big enough to make the pump run dry, and it sounds like it may be, then some heat related damage may have been done to the pump motor. The motor problem your describing sounds like a faulty start winding circuit, either a capacitor or centrifugal switch. Both can be repaired fairly easily. You need to look at the suction side plumbing thoroughly first. No sense in repairing the pump if there's another problem that's just gonna cook it again.

ShockerLU3 said:
Just a guess, but it sounds like you may have a 2 part cause/effect problem. You may have an air leak on the suction side. This would keep the pump from priming. If this leak were big enough to make the pump run dry, and it sounds like it may be, then some heat related damage may have been done to the pump motor. The motor problem your describing sounds like a faulty start winding circuit, either a capacitor or centrifugal switch. Both can be repaired fairly easily. You need to look at the suction side plumbing thoroughly first. No sense in repairing the pump if there's another problem that's just gonna cook it again.

I think you were exactly right, although it took having the pump repaired in order to FIND the leak. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.