Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: which test kit is better?

1. Back To Top    #1

which test kit is better?

which is a better test kit, the taylor 2005 or 2006? i wanted the 2006 but when my wife went to the pool place the only had the 2005, which the guy said work be just as good.
    I am currently deal with, first cloudy but slowly getting a greenish hue.
    any help would be great. have vistors coming next week and would love a clear pool fo them to enjoy.
    10,000 gal. above grnd.
    300 # sand filter
    solar cover(do not use often)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: which test kit is better?

The 2006. It has the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

K2006 is better. TF100 has pretty much the same stuff, just bigger quantities, and no acid/base demand. Which you don't really need if you use pool calculator anyway. The CYA tube in the TF100 is a lot bigger, much easier to read.

Just as an aside, if the wife buys the K2005, you can still order the FAS-DPD kit as a seperate test from tftestkits.net.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Good question los, and good answers to go with it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Return the 2005 and get the k2006 or the TF100...oh yeah, welcome to TFP
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks guys. on the 2005 the highest i can test the CH is 5. do the others go higher? to get the pool up to shock level it is ggoing to have to read much higher, correct?
    10,000 gal. above grnd.
    300 # sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

CH is the abbreviation for Calcium hardness. Did you mean chlorine? The abbreviation for chlorine is FC (free chlorine- the good stuff that sanitizes the pool) or CC (combined chlorine- the chloramine waste product that is left after the FC does its job. We try to keep that at 0.5 ppm or less) TC (total chlorine) refers to FC+CC=TC. Some pool store give you a TC but not the FC or CC.

Back to your question, the FAS-DPD chlorine test uses drops (count how many drops to change sample from pink to clear) thus can count much higher levels of FC needed for shocking or for measuring maintenance levels of FC in high CYA pools.

The TF 100 and the Taylor 2006 both come with that test. You may also purchase the test separately from tf testkits and use it along with the 2005 kit you already have.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

FAS-DPD test will measure up to 50ppm FC and can measure both FC and CC

If you decide to keep the 2005, you can purchase the FAS-DPD test only from tftestkits
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

I think you get more bang for the buck with the T-100...It has all the direction's posted to the inside lid so it is very easy to do& don't half to have book out to see what you are doing...Plus, more reagent's.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

on the instructions i have it says TC-FC = CC
    is that right?
    it read.

FC - 3
    TC - 3
    so would my CC be 0, or 3?
    10,000 gal. above grnd.
    300 # sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

That is correct, CC is zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

thanks. is there any way i can use the test kit i have to track my "super" shock level? or do i need t get another kit?
    10,000 gal. above grnd.
    300 # sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

The DPD chlorine test can be used with dilution to measure higher FC levels, but you lose a great deal of precision. The instructions for doing this should have come with the test kit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School