Priming Pump and Getting Started

Jul 22, 2010
NW Florida
We just got our pool installed yesterday along with the electricity hookup. We filled the pool with the water from the house. My question is after I prime the pump, how long should I let the pump run before getting a water sample tested? I will be purchasing an at home kit that TFP suggests but until then, I will have the pool place test the water. I won't be able to get the sample tested until tomorrow (Saturday evening). Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP.

Let it circulate for about an hour then grab a sample about elbow deep and take it to the pool store. Don't buy anything till you come back here and post the numbers.
Did they give you a startup kit? If so, what's in it?

The kit they want to give us is Pristine Blue. We told them no, we want to use chlorine. I want to try the BBB method. I have used chlorine-based chemicals in the past on another pool I owned, and it was no big deal. The BBB method seems pretty straight forward.

I am only worried that I cannot get the water tested until Saturday evening.

While you're getting your water tested they'll probably want to sell you something. If you want to buy something you could buy 4 or 5 lbs of dichlor (Shock). That'll raise your CYA to 35 to 40 which is just right. Don't let them sell you Cal-Hypo it won't do what you need it to do.

Spend a little time reading the pool school article on temporary pool setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.