Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Priming Pump and Getting Started

1. Back To Top    #1

Priming Pump and Getting Started

We just got our pool installed yesterday along with the electricity hookup. We filled the pool with the water from the house. My question is after I prime the pump, how long should I let the pump run before getting a water sample tested? I will be purchasing an at home kit that TFP suggests but until then, I will have the pool place test the water. I won't be able to get the sample tested until tomorrow (Saturday evening). Any suggestions?
    AG, Swim N' Play 18 ft x 48 inches, round, vinyl liner, metal frame
    Columbia High Rate Sand Filter 2 HP, 7500 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Priming Pump and Getting Started

Welcome to TFP.

Let it circulate for about an hour then grab a sample about elbow deep and take it to the pool store. Don't buy anything till you come back here and post the numbers.
    Did they give you a startup kit? If so, what's in it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The kit they want to give us is Pristine Blue. We told them no, we want to use chlorine. I want to try the BBB method. I have used chlorine-based chemicals in the past on another pool I owned, and it was no big deal. The BBB method seems pretty straight forward.

I am only worried that I cannot get the water tested until Saturday evening.
    AG, Swim N' Play 18 ft x 48 inches, round, vinyl liner, metal frame
    Columbia High Rate Sand Filter 2 HP, 7500 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Saturday will be fine. I'd add 3ppm of chlorine each evening. Since you need CYA anyway I'd use Dichlor. Add 5oz each day till you get your water tested. If you don't have that add 1½ qts of bleach.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

While you're getting your water tested they'll probably want to sell you something. If you want to buy something you could buy 4 or 5 lbs of dichlor (Shock). That'll raise your CYA to 35 to 40 which is just right. Don't let them sell you Cal-Hypo it won't do what you need it to do.

Spend a little time reading the pool school article on temporary pool setup.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator