Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Pool Store" Shock Question.....

1. Back To Top    #1
    Altoona, AL

"Pool Store" Shock Question.....

I'm loving the BBB method and never thought I'd be on here asking this question but here goes...

What brand of Wal Mart or pool store shock should I use to "doctor" my pool up for a couple of days?
    We have had a few very heavy rains this week, not to mention 100 degree temps. My water is just a tiny bit cloudy, but I think I'm seeing hints of green algae starting to form in the cracks on my steps. I've got to do something quick.
    My CYA is a little bit low (about 20) so I'm not worried about the stabilizer that could be added by using a commercial shock treatment just this once. What I am worried about is adding something that is not compatible with the BBB method.

The reason I'm in such a hurry - My daughter got accepted in dental school and we want to have a celebration for her this weekend. If I can just get through this weekend I will start shocking with bleach on Sunday night if it's still necessary.

Thanks so much for your help!
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: "Pool Store" Shock Question.....

There is no product that is better than bleach if you want to shock the pool.

You don't show any test results so I can't comment on what dosages, etc. to use but, regardless, bleach is as good (and almost always better) than anything else you can put in your pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

I'm with Dave, there isn't a better shock than bleach but since your CYA is 20, Dichlor would work for you and I'd start shocking now. You can swim up to shock level so that's not an issue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Shock with bleach.

Prior to using BBB we shocked our pool with calcium hypo. I did not like how cloudy the calcium made the pool. Trichlor tabs dissolve slowly. Bleach goes to work immediately. We use Walmart generic bleach to shock; try it.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

While trichlor tabs are slow to dissolve, dichlor comes in powder so that will work and add CYA at the same time.

Use the Pool Calculator to see the effects of adding dichlor to your pool, down at the bottom.

If you want to get from CYA 20 to maybe 40, determine how much dichlor you are allowed. When you get there, stop and go to bleach for shocking.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

North Central Texas

Look at the label on any chlorine product you purchase to make sure it does not have copper in it. Copper can cause staining, especially if the TA/CH/pH are not carefully managed. Most of the HTH sanitizing products, now days, contain copper. That is the brand commonly found at Walley's and HD.

I have extensive copper staining in my pool from years of out of balance water and Ionizer use that throws a lot of copper into the water over time. The staining is extremely difficult to get rid of or even impossible in some circumstances.

Possibly a small addition of copper, only a few times, may not be much of an issue, but if introduced over time can creep up on you and produce staining. Many algaecides contain copper too and some other products.

Now that I know what can happen and have to look at the staining, in my otherwise pretty pool, I avoid copper like the plague. BTW..... As my pool shouldn't be acid washed any more times I'm in a very slow process of attempting to lighten the copper staining. It is very expensive but cheaper than replastering the pool, which, in my case, would be only for aesthetics, as the plaster is still in good shape.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine