Buying a new pump motor a couple questions

Hi I'm pretty new to this pool forum. I'm so glad I found it.

I have a A.O.Smith 1&1/2 HP 3450 RPM pump that just stopped working yesterday.

1.) Is a 2 speed 1&1/2 HP motor the way to go with a replacement?

2.) In reading a lot of the info on here it seems I can use a smaller motor and get the same result. Is that true?

3.) Can I take the broken motor to a motor repair shop and have it fixed then have a back up for when needed?

Thank You everyone.

1) A 2-speed is definitely the way to go.

2) Without knowing anything about your equipment I can't comment on this one!

3) You certainly can. I'd get them to give me an estimate before I committed to anything though. It may wind up being cheaper to buy a new one.

For #2, you can only use a smaller motor if you also reduce the size of the impeller (i.e. lower HP impeller rating). Sometimes that requires a new diffusor as well. Reducing the impeller size and motor basically reduces the HP of the pump and will reduce energy usage as well.

fudgebar said:
Which is better for a 14x28 pool, a variable speed pump or a 2 speed pump?

I ended up getting a variable speed, Pentair Intelliflo VF. Variable speeds cost a lot more than 2 speed pumps, so savings will depend some on how much you are paying for electricity. And how much you pump now, size of your current pump, etc.

How does the Pentair Variable Speed compare to the Hawyard Variable speed pumps?....Do you favor one over the other?...why?

The Hayward has a separate controller, which I thought was an advantage. But the Pentair variable speed pumps have been out on the market longer. Pentair basically makes three versions of the intelliflo, the most basic VS3050, the VS3050+SVRS, and the VF. I liked the VF, since it sets your GPM flow based on you input pool size (in gallons), and the hours you tell it to pump. But the VF is the most expensive, although my utility in California has a $100 rebate on the VF.

Jeff

thanks for the info ride....since I dont have any pump now, ( I am in the process of selecting a contractor and building a pool) should I opt for the Pentair VF now right from the start?.........When you say its the most expensive pump of their variable speed pumps, what are estimating?....$2000? If most contractors offer a 1HP Super Hayward single Pump included in their packages, what kind of credit is fair to ask for to swap out to the Pentair VF model?

thanks for your help Jeff (ride525)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.