CC Level?

benavidescj: I didn't shock and walk away. Since you really can only shock when the sun is down it is kind of hard to add liquid chlorine when you are sleeping. I added chlorine waited a couple of hours and then tested. Then I slept 8 hours and upon getting up I tested.
So how long are you saying to keep it at 22ppm? I thought once you hit that figure it clears everything up which once again I have clear water and no signs of algae but was told it could be there since I'm going thru the chlorine. Now last night I added chlorine per the calculations of the pool calculator and got it up to 25ppm. So are you saying I should continue to add in the day to keep it there until I don't have the drop?
My question is , once i add the chlorine to the pool, how long should I wait to test?
I've been adding chlorine, wait one hour and test it. My pump runs 24 hours a day on low speed. I've put in at least 6 1/4 gallons of chlorine since Saturday all early morning or late at night.

Ok, there is some confusion here on the shock process.

You CYA level is 55 ppm, so your shock level is 22 ppm. You should use the pool calculator, figure out how much bleach is needed to bring the FC up to 22, and add THE ENTIRE amount. Dont add a gallon here, or a half there, and bring it up slow. If the FC is 10, add enough to bring it to 22 ppm all at once and HOLD it there. Once you add the initial dose, test it in say a half an hour. If its lower than 22, add enough bleach to bring it back to 22. Retest in an hour. If it's dropped again, bring it back to 22 ppm. Now, i know it not practicle to test every hour unless you home from work. But a couple times during the day, at dinner time, before bed, and early in the morning would be good. Each time you test, if the FC has dropped below shock level, bring it back to 22 ppm. If you test before bed, bring it to 22 ppm, and the next morning before the sun hits the pool, the FC is 21-22, and the CC is <=0.5, that means the FC held, and the organics are gone.

IMO, you should shock during the day too. At a CYA of 55 ppm, the FC loss to to sun will be fairly minimal as compared to the loss caused by organics.

Part of the confusion is you asked if you should wait to resume shocking in the evening, and I said yes. I didn't realize you had guests coming in 2 days, or I would have said no, stay with it testing and adding hourly, even during the daytime. You can shock during the day - it will help you complete your shocking sooner, you just use more bleach is all because alot is lost to sunlight. Had I known you had guests coming, I would have advised that you hit it hard regardless of that. My apologies if I added to the confusion.

Frustratedpoolmom: No problem as I didn't mention I had guest coming plus I always thought you shouldn't shock in the daytime.
duraleigh: You mentioned "If your CYA is 55, it is safe to swim in FC 20-24ppm"
So if my CYA reads 55 and my FC reads between that 20-24ppm today then it would be safe to let them swim, even kids? I want to make sure I get that right as I don't want any problems and It is hot and muggy today as I even want to go in>
Thanks everyone.

20 ppm FC with a CYA of 50 has approx 0.305ppm active HoCL in the water.
4ppm FC with CYA of 0 has approx 2ppm active HoCL in the water.

So an indoor public pool with a high FC count (4ppm) has almost 10 times as much active chlorine in the water than your pool would have at the recommended shock levels.

Partly I think you are thinking chlorine in a swimming pool is a whole lot more reactive than it is - especially in the presence of CYA.

6 1/2 Gallons of 12.5% for your pool is 50ppm lost over the course of 2 days. Others will have a more informed opinion, but if your pool is not clouding up with dead algae - 50ppm seems like a whole lot of chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.