Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a "better" thermometer

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a "better" thermometer

I was just wondering if one thermometer was more accurate than others or is picking up a thermometer at Walmart just fine? My question comes because I wanted to ask about aeration and cooling off a pool - I figured I would be asked the temp of the water and I don't know. All I know is it's just not enjoyable because the water is warm. The only time we're cool is just as you get out of the pool for the first several minutes. Highs around here lately are about 110+ and lows are 80's. I put my lawn sprinkler on the end of the hose, but that didn't cut it!

Thermometer suggestions? Aeration suggestions? Thanks.
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there a "better" thermometer

You might want to consider this pool-and-spa-thermometer-with-wireless-temperature-sensor-t19328.html
    I bought this thermometer at Home Depot for $29.00. Yes it has some issues but it really works great.
    Hope this helps
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    You might want to consider this pool-and-spa-thermometer-with-wireless-temperature-sensor-t19328.html
    I bought this thermometer at Home Depot for $29.00. Yes it has some issues but it really works great.
    Hope this helps
    Mine is still functioning well after, what 2 or 3 months? I had to move the receiver around a bit for best reception. I keep it in the skimmer. When I purchased mine at HD near me they only had a few and have none now. The HD, on my way to airport, has had a bunch in stock for several months now. As reported by members, in the original thread, some HDs don't have them; some do. It may be regional.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you very much. I'll check out Home Depot.
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

5. Back To Top    #5

You need more volume and get the water as high as possible in the air. I just assembled a new fountain from PVC and after a lot of trial and error, I got something I'm happy with. Trying to get it as high as possible while keeping most of the water in the pool. The smaller drops were coming down quite cool.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a three dollar stainless steel jacketed thermometer from Canadian Tire hanging from my step ladder, I looked through all of them and almost all were the same as the one I picked out for temp reading. I checked it against my calibrated Heise gauge...
    http://www.heise.com/Products/calibr...Calibrator.cfm
    gauge which is accurate to tenths of a degree and it was a half degree out...should have took one that was out from the rest.

Works fine, I don't need anything more accurate or convenient than this inexpensive product.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

8. Back To Top    #8

I bought one of the Home Depot wireless thermometers today.

It works fine.....except, and this is a big except.....it reads about NINE degrees too low all the time.

Going to call Acu-Rite tomorrow, it may be going back to Home Depot.
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    I have a three dollar stainless steel jacketed thermometer from Canadian Tire hanging from my step ladder, I looked through all of them and almost all were the same as the one I picked out for temp reading. I checked it against my calibrated Heise gauge...
    http://www.heise.com/Products/calibr...Calibrator.cfm
    gauge which is accurate to tenths of a degree and it was a half degree out...should have took one that was out from the rest.

Works fine, I don't need anything more accurate or convenient than this inexpensive product.
    I'm thinking the same way. I've bought an old fashion analog thermometer those are accurate enough and also the cheapest I could find
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

10. Back To Top    #10

How weird is this? I just called Acu-Rite, and told them my wireless pool thermometer was reading about nine degrees too low. First question she asked was what brand of batteries I was using (I had Walgreen's alkaline). She said they had problems with non-name-brand batteries, and a brand name such as Duracell should fix the problem.

So off to store to get some name brand batteries.

EDIT: I actually had some Eveready AA alkaline batteries at home. So I tried those. Still nine or ten degrees too low. So called Acu-Rite again, and she said they consider Eveready batteries to be generic! So, I bought some Duracell AA alkalines. Still reading nine or ten degrees too low. Back to the phone to call Acu-Rite a third time.

Called third time and Acu-Rite says the thermometer definitely sounds like it is defective (not calibrated correctly at factory in China), since all three sets of batteries read nine or ten degrees too low. She offered to send a new unit out, but I told her I would try an exchange at Home Depot.

EDIT 2: Exchanged unit at Home Depot. New one seems to be working fine.

Jeff
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB, TF-100 test kit