Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck help?

We need deck help...

We actually moved our current pool from my grandparents' to our house. They had a redwood deck all around it with round posts in the ground for columns. We disassembled it and brought all of the pieces with.

I want to put a 2' - 3' walk around on two sides ( for maintenance) and run the deck out about 15' - 20 ' on the one side, leaving the side with the filter and pump open for easy maintenance.

I don't have a problem with the supporting, and the lay out or building, what we are having problems deciding is the best way to set up the columns. It was going to get done this spring,, and last fall. But it keeps getting put off because we just can't figure the best way.

Where the pool is there was a very large tree about 10' away, with a couple other good sized trees for company. Although we cut them out, we have the problem of roots if we dig. So we considered putting the round posts in 5 gallon buckets and concreting them in, to for a pier type column... I guess I discussed that. My husband thinks it would be a good idea to lag them into rail road ties ( he works for the rail road so this is not a surprising suggestion from him ). The neighbor said dig... but I'm afraid that anywhere we dig we'll end up hitting big roots where we need supports.

So what are your suggestions for supporting an "above ground" deck for an above ground pool? It would be appx 4' tall, there are no surrounding structures to build off of.
    Owner of a cloudy but no longer swampy green AG 24' x 4' Doughboy, sand filter with SWG. Soon to be a crystal clear oasis!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Deck help?

There are tons of ways of doing it. Your way of pouring piers is viable so is your DH's suggestion of cross-ties. The neighbor's hole digging suggestion is probably the most popular but if you're fairly confident there are big roots that might not be right for you.

Unless you have enough cross-ties laying around I'd opt for the poured piers.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

They also make a "spiked" 4x4 post support. It has a collar coming up a few inches where you can either nail or bolt the post into it. You could drive a couple of these into your "problem" area. You could also use pre-made above ground concrete supports.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

San Antonio

Am I correct that with either the bucket or the cross ties the deck would not be tied to the ground.? It would stay put based on it's weight alone?
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

5. Back To Top    #5

Neither of these could be tied to the ground, so it would basically be free standing.
    Owner of a cloudy but no longer swampy green AG 24' x 4' Doughboy, sand filter with SWG. Soon to be a crystal clear oasis!