IG Vinyl Pool Bottom Material

Jun 6, 2010
Clayton, NC
I'm getting closer to actually pulling the trigger on my 16'x32'x8' kit. The thing that I am still up in the air about is which bottom material to go with. I will (hopefully) be doing the bottom myself so I will most likely have to split the work out over several days. I am in central NC and have thick clay soil. With this in mind, which is the best material to use?

I'm leaning toward sand/portland since I assume it would stand up well to any rain I got before finishing the whole bottom. Also, I read that poolcrete is tough for the inexperienced to work with.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you stay with DIY, I suggest sand/portland but don't expect it to be a cakewalk.

I chose portland/vermiculite on my DIY pool but contracted that part out.....I was very glad I did. The guys that troweled it in were fairly expreienced but they struggled making a decent job out of it. I would have done a very poor job, I'm pretty sure.

It is a finished surface, even though you cover it up. Every single imperfection telegraphs up through the liner.

I would guess sand/portland to be SLIGHTLY easier but probably still not within my personal skills.

I'd do the sand/portland. There's no aggregate in it, almost like tile grout. Like Dave said, think about hiring it out. The pool guy i used had some really good guys doing it. At night with the pool light on, you can see the trowel swirls thru the liner, so it really needs to have a pro do it.
You also need to get the bottom packed down really well. Use a compactor to get maximum compaction before the floor goes in. If you a hire it done, they will get the floor installed with ease, that way yo dont have to worry with it over several days. It really needs to be done in one day.

I agree with all the post above. I did my own pool with just sand no portland. (I did not know portland was an option) I actually had to build a hugh tent over my pool after a rain storm washed all my sand off the walls. The tent inabled me to complete the project over several weeks. Had I known then what I know now I would have hired it done. I tried very hard to get a smooth finish but at night with the light on it looks really rough.

Just only slightly off the subject, but it will look rough at night regardless who does it.

It is literally impossible to get it so smooth theat the night light doesn't show the divots.....mine looks like a moonscape with one added bonus.....there is a line of cat paws That goes straight across the shallow end!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.