Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Torn Liner. Need advice.

1. Back To Top    #1

Torn Liner. Need advice.

Just found my liner is tearing at the seam around the bottom. Abouut an 8" tear. Can I drain it all the way and leave it like that for a couple days or is it gonna cause damage to the walls? It is only 1 month old Ahhh!!! Thanks !!!
    17,000 gal. AG with Pentair Clean and Clear 100 cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp pump at about 55 GPM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Torn Liner. Need advice.

If the pool was installed by a builder, call them. If you installed it, call the supplier. Liners are usually warranted for seam failure. Emptying your pool may cause wall damage if you were to get high wind.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

So I should just leave it full. Its got my yard a mess. It's about an 8" tear.
    17,000 gal. AG with Pentair Clean and Clear 100 cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp pump at about 55 GPM.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry to hear this!

Any chance of slapping a patch on it til the pool dudes can check it out?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Never installed a patch before so I am not sure but the tear (liner pulled apart) is about 8" long. It is pulled so much that I can lift it up and see the coving so I doubt a patch will help. I can also see about two feet in either direction that it looks like it is coming apart. I think I am going to leave it full until I find something out cause I read that draining it will void the warrenty if it dries out so I am not gonna take any chances. Do manufacturers usually stand behind their warranties?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ttomp
    Do manufacturers usually stand behind their warranties?
    Seeing that it has only been a month, I don't think that you will have much of a problem getting things handled. Just follow their instructions in the meantime.

7. Back To Top    #7

I hope your right. My luck with stuff like this is not very good though.

8. Back To Top    #8

Called the place this morning and explained what is going on and the guy said "no problem. I have one left here", so my wife went got it. They didn't even go look at the old one, nor do they want the old one back. Now I just have to change it out. Sucks but at least I didn't have to buy one.

9. Back To Top    #9

That was about as easy as I've ever heard of. You might want to hang onto a chunk of that old one. Never know when you might need it for something.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

You read my mind. I am assuming I can use it as a patch? What kind of glue/adhesive do you use that sets up underwater?

11. Back To Top    #11

It's called Boxer adhesive. It's the best out there.

If you got the same pattern, by keeping a piece of the old liner you'll have a perfect match should you ever need it.

here's hoping that you have to throw it away after it's so old that it's completely faded to white.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes indeed.

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool place gave me a new liner with no questions asked. Have the new one in and all filled up. Thanks for the responses !!!