Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running pump at night or day?

1. Back To Top    #1

northern California

Running pump at night or day?

My pump is on a timer to run 8 hours everyday during the day. Out of curiosity, does it matter if it runs during the day or at night?
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator:; bleach calc:

2. Back To Top    #2

Buckeye, AZ 85326

Re: Running pump at night or day?

It's up to the pool owner. I run mine at night because we are on a "time of use plan" with our utility provider. Electricity is cheaper at night, also I run my aerator every other night or so to cool the water down a few degress.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

3. Back To Top    #3
    Southern Indiana

We run ours during the day to keep the top "layer" of water from getting so hot. Most of the time just removing the cover at night is enough for us to cool the water. We don't live in Arizona though! We have our pump running about 12 hours a day. Whatever works best for you!
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

4. Back To Top    #4

I time my pump run cycle to add or subtract heat from the pool. When it is cold, I run more in the heat of the day. When it is hot, I run in the cool of the evening, but for an hour mid day to circulate some chlorine into the spa. I run the waterfall the same way to add or subtract heat and add a mid day 15 min run just to keep some chlorine in it regardless of the weather. I use the Polaris to add circulation in the pool in between, and hour here and there. The Polaris does not help the spa so I had to add that spa time.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.