Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solor Lights?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solor Lights?

Right now my inground pool is being built. I did not get the option for lights. I thought about getting some solar lights to put around the apron. I saw some at Wal-Mart, Westinghouse Solar Spot Lights that are 20x brighter than a regular solar light. Also thought about Fiber Optics, but I think they would be waaay expensive. I'm just trying to keep the cost down, so suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solor Lights?

Lights are bug attractors, but it's really not safe to have a pool that can't be lighted. If somebody disappears you really want to be able to flip a switch and see the whole pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Look at our pool build in the sig abr. You will see pics of walmart solar lights. They are $20 for a box or 2. They work great for us.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

We bought white rope lights at Christmas time and used those to outline the concrete and deck around the pool. Also got a solar timer to plug them into. Functional at night but looks cool too.
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dlduvall
    We bought white rope lights at Christmas time and used those to outline the concrete and deck around the pool. Also got a solar timer to plug them into. Functional at night but looks cool too.

That's a great idea! Since Christmas items generally go on sale right after the Holidays, that would be a good time to buy some.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I just checked with a local Ace Hardware Store and they have the Celebration Rope Lights in Clear, Blue, Red and green in 18 foot lengths for $9.99. I'm thinking the clear ones would be better.
    Do I attach theses on the coping where the vinyl is attached?

7. Back To Top    #7

Electrical code says that no light shall be closer than 10 feet to the water unless it's designed for submersion. Lights can be 5 feet or greater if the light is 12 feet above the pool. NEC article 680 covers pool electrical. Putting a string of christmas lights around a pool that close to the water is dangerous. I'm just sayin
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

I know what the code states, but I also know that there are many people on this forum as well as on the Internet that are using Rope Lights around their pools.
    Read info below;

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2c1 ... around-the

I have several outlets that are GFI outside that I use regularly for Christmas lights. The lights I want to purchase are rated for outdoors use.

9. Back To Top    #9

Lights that are rated for outdoor use are different than what can be used around a pool. Just because its "all over the internet" doesnt make it to code. Do what you want, but the guidlines are no less than 10 feet. That being said, the rule is probably a bit too strict. Lights that are 5 feet or more are probably ok. But I wouldnt put string lights right up next to the water, even with GFI. Too dangerous.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

I understand your concern as I have talked to my pool builder about it too. He said there are Fiber Optic lights for pools but basically it's the same thing I want to get but only a lot less.
    I don't want to place them in the water but above it some how on the coping. I realize they will get splashed on but no more than what rain water would do anyway.