Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are HTH salt test strips reasonably reliable?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are HTH salt test strips reasonably reliable?

I bought a pack and measured my water at 500ppm, consulted the pool calc and added 6 bags (240lbs) of Morton’s pool salt. I tested it again and the strips read 2000ppm, and the water feels even better than I had hoped.

So here is the problem, my wife and I can both taste the salt. I have never added salt before, and we get 2-2.5 feet of rain per year which I would expect to dilute the salt added by chlorine breakdown and sweat (it sure did a number on CH and CYA last winter) so I don't imagine it started very high.

I’d like to get a SWCG but my wife says no more salt.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Are HTH salt test strips reasonably reliable?

Take a sample to your local pool store and see what they say it is.

Either you both have a sensitivity to saltiness or it's a lot higher than you think.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Are HTH salt test strips reasonably reliable?

The level at which people can taste salt varies quite a bit. Most people can't test salt at 2,000 ppm, but there are a fair number who can.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School