Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bottom foam on AGP, is it really worth it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bottom foam on AGP, is it really worth it?

Hi guy, buying an 18 foot above ground pool this weekend, and they are trying to sell me a bottom foam pad which goes under the whole pool including the posts (extra 260$) claiming the pool will be more stable and increase the life of liner

any opinions on this, is it worth the money?

Thanks for you quick responses
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bottom foam on AGP, is it really worth it?

A lot of people like the feel of the foam bottom but it isn't required and won't affect the life of your liner if it's installed correctly (which it should be, with or without the foam).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I appreciate the input,

theres a chain of pool stores "Club Piscine"here in montreal, it's funny how one store completely recommends them and the other says it's not worth it
    18 feet AGP
    SWG
    Catridge

4. Back To Top    #4

give ya my two cents...my buddy has a 27' agp and I have a 33' agp..I used sand under my liner and that's it..he used the pool pad. He has seam marks every 2 feet, or whatever the width is..my bottom is perfectly flat and comfortable. no seams or creases anywhere.

I would NOT put that stuff under my liner if it had those goofy seams showing every few feet. Just not worth it in my opinion
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a foam bottom, and as flyweed says, I have very visible (and deep) seams every few feet across my pool. Dirt really collects in them. It does nothing to smooth out any imperfections in the substrate. Mine is crushed rock with a heavy plastic barrier under the foam. The bottom of mine is not even remotely smooth. Unfortunately (?) I replaced my liner last year and didn't fix the bottom at that time (didn't know any better then.) If anything, it got worse. I'd love to replace the bottom, but will have to wait until the next time I have to replace the liner.

All that said, the bottom is soft and comfortable to walk on, but I'd rather do sand or something. I can't give you a good recommendation on any alternatives, just my own experience.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool dealer sells the Happy Bottom foam underlayment....but they do not push it. They actually suggest getting the poly film from the installer. They put put the thin poly film down then add the sand on top. Then in goes the liner. I went this route. The poly film also is known to prevent "sand washout" during heavy rains or floods. Just my two cents. I have had hot tubs for years...but this is my first permanent above ground pool.

1) 8500 Gallons (18 foot, 52 inches deep)
    2) Hayward Cartridge Filter
    3) Above Ground Pool
    4) Hayward 2 HP pump