Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone tried FIX-A-LEAK?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone tried FIX-A-LEAK?

We obviously have a suction side leak. Has anyone ever tried the FIX-A-LEAK product? http://www.fixaleak.com/pools.html Seems like a good idea if it works.
    10,000 gallon inground vinyl FOXX pool - built in 1999. Hayward sand filter. 3/4 HP 2-speed pump with timer. Hayward Aquarite SWG t-3 cell. Love the BBB method - pool has never looked better!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone tried FIX-A-LEAK?

They say you need to reverse flow to stop suction side leaks...Never thought about doing that, but I don't think there is a setting on my multiport valve to do so....nor do I think pool pumps are designed for that.

It sounds like one of those things that you would do at last resort before having to call a pro in to tear up a ton of concrete anyway.
    25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15

3. Back To Top    #3

From reading that page, in order to use it on a suction-side leak you have to reverse the flow of water through your plumbing = no trivial task. The good news is that most suction side leaks are above ground. Have you checked all your suction-side above-ground plumbing? The most common place is the strainer basket lid not sealing properly (solution = relube/replace gasket and retighten lid). After that, check glued and especially threaded connections by running a hose over the joint while cupping your hand underneath it. Be sure to allow about 30 seconds per joint. The air bubbles will stop if you get the hose flowing on the leak. Another trick that has worked for some people is to put foam (not gel) shaving cream around all of the connections; if you get it on the leak sometimes a little cone will form where the shaving cream gets sucked in. Good luck!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not making a judgement on whether it will work or not but you'd have to plug off one end of the suction piping (i.e. with a winterizing plug) and configure some way to add pressure to the other end (i.e. a blowout plug).

Also, 48 hours is a long time to go without running your pump so you need to figure some way to circulate the water while it's down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'm not making a judgement on whether it will work or not but you'd have to plug off one end of the suction piping (i.e. with a winterizing plug) and configure some way to add pressure to the other end (i.e. a blowout plug).

Also, 48 hours is a long time to go without running your pump so you need to figure some way to circulate the water while it's down.
    What if we run the pump with the filter on recirculate?
    10,000 gallon inground vinyl FOXX pool - built in 1999. Hayward sand filter. 3/4 HP 2-speed pump with timer. Hayward Aquarite SWG t-3 cell. Love the BBB method - pool has never looked better!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyemom

All that does it bypass the filter. The pump still pulls water thru the suction lines and out the returns. Under what bama suggests, you could not use the filter pump at all. You would need to circulate the water with a submersible pump of some kind.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Never heard of it until I read your initial post, but I wouldn't even waste my money trying.

In my profession, I've seen radiator stopleak that doesn't; transmission stop leak that doesn't; power steering stop leak that doesn't; even tire fix-a-flat that won't. All they do is leave a mess behind that has to be cleaned up when you do the repair properly.

What if it's just the lid to the strainer basket? Will you have sealed it tight so that you can't open it again?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Fix-A-Leak is the kind of thing you use when the alternative is tearing the pool out of the ground and starting over from scratch, not something to try if there is any other alternative. Definitely try a leak detection service long before you try Fix-A-Leak.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyemom

All that does it bypass the filter. The pump still pulls water thru the suction lines and out the returns. Under what bama suggests, you could not use the filter pump at all. You would need to circulate the water with a submersible pump of some kind.
    You need to remove your element or put in recirculate with that stuff anyway, or the filter will catch it all and end your leak fixing adventure!
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

OK - all good things to know. Thanks for the info - guess we'll try another solution.

11. Back To Top    #11

Still no one has tried this? I am at the point of either resigning myself to above ground plumbing or having to spend thousands on cutting up concrete all the way around a 20x40 lazy L pool with radiant heat in the concrete... wish i knew someone who tried it that it worked for... but dont have much to loose either. Mine is a return side leak by the way.

thanks
    My Pool: Indoor 20x40 Lazy L, sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

From what I have heard it works about 20% of the time. When they say to bypass the filter they are serious, it will destroy a filter quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I have tried it. I would say it works more like 40-50% of the time(when used on a low loss leak). I suppose it depends on the type and size of the leak. It wont work on a suction line leak, unless the pump is off. If the pump is off, you won't get the stop leak distributed everywhere like you need. The smaller the loss, the better chance you have with it, i believe.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

14. Back To Top    #14

Sounds like the only way i am going to find out is to replace my liner first, fill it with watter and then try it huh?

Thanks for the info
    My Pool: Indoor 20x40 Lazy L, sand filter