Should a pump feel hot to the touch?

May 1, 2010
Near Nashville TN
Been a few years since I owned a pool. I forgot if a pump is supposed to feel hot to the touch? It also has a little smell to it, figured becasue it is brand new- runs very quiet, but feels hot?? It is a dual spd 1.5 hp Hayward- wired to 240v with #12 wire on a 20amp breaker

It should feel hot but you shouldn't be able to cook eggs on it. Roughly 130-150 is okay anything near 200 is bad. Check near theback vents of the motor you should feel a good breeze of air. It shouldn't have a smell though,especially a burning smell

Well I have rewired the pump with #10 wire, instead of #12 to see if that was causing the pump to turn off as it pulls amps- same thing, low speed runs all night/day, high speed runs for about 20 min then shuts off. Pump gets very hot, which the tech guy at Hayward said it would. I can't hold my hand on it for more than 2 seconds. Low spped, not hot at all. I am going to try to get the temp off of it next. This sucks, it's brand spankin new.:grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.