CYA level advice needed

Jul 27, 2010
I have an outdoor above ground style vinyl pool located inside of a greenhouse structure. The greenhouse roof is 6 mil poly with UV stabilizer in it. The ends are screened with black nylon window screen, the ease end very treed and the west end near the house. This results in very little direct sunlight ever actually reaching the pool.

Under normal conditions the chlorine level changes very slowly. You can be out all day and not need sunscreen.

Under these conditions is CYA actually needed? If so, what level should I shoot for?

Tom

If there is minimal UV reaching the pool, then I'd target 4 ppm FC with 20 ppm CYA. The higher FC boosts the active chlorine level to partially make up for the lack of UV. Some components of sweat and urine are slow to oxidize and need a higher active chlorine level unless there is UV to help break them down. In some cases, you may find you need supplemental oxidation -- some indoor pools use UV systems if they find trouble keeping Combined Chlorine (CC) low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.