Aquatrol vs zodiac clearwater for AGP + few quaestions

Jul 28, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Hi guys,

first post here

So basically I am buying an above ground pool this week, 18 feet diameter, with salwater system
Being completely new to pool altogether, I'm not always sure the right questions to ask the salesman, they seems to give the least amount of info and try to make everything sound so simple, however after doing a little research I can see there alot more to it.

after having shopped around and asking a few questions, I am have the choice of 2 salt water systems (both about the same price), 1. Hayward aquatrol, 2. Zodiac clearwater for above groud pools
anyone have an opinion on which would be a better choice?

also the system come with a filtration system that uses catridges (apparently no need for backwash) is this a good system?

also I live in montreal in montreal (cold winters) should this have any bearing on my decision making

finally, once the pool is installed, how long does it take before I can actually swim in it, how long does it take before the water temp gets to swimable temp

thanks for you help

Please, no double posts. (I removed the other post.)

You won't find many supporters of the Zodiac model as it adds unnecessary metals to your water.

Chemically wise, using manual chlorination at first you should be able to swim the first day the pool is full. Temp wise is another story :). Have you considered a heater for your set up?

can't really afford the heater this year, how long does it take to for the temp to go from say the temp the water comes out of the tap to the outside temp 70-75 degrees

if I don't use manual chlorination, how long does it take to get the pool up and running

There are too many variables on the temp - no way to predict.

You have to use manual addition of liquid chlorine to bring the initial FC level up to range, then the SWG can keep up. You have to wait till the salt addition has dissolved and the other perameters are in range for the SWG to produce chlorine and allow for swimming. Perhaps a 1-3 days depending on your fill water chemistry.

Cartridges are great (but that's all I know). Sand owners will tout sand. DE owners will tout DE. They are all good. In order of clarity, it's DE, then Cart, then Sand.

SWGs are an automated method of adding chlorine to the pool daily. That's the only difference than a standard chlorine pool.

Reliabilty - IDK others with more experience will have to chime in.

The Aqua Trol is well thought of. Keep in mind that all SWGs get some complains, none of them are completely trouble free. Still nearly all SWG owners are very happy they got their SWG.

Cell lifetime is typically 3 to 5 years, it varies quite a bit.

So I need to make a decision, on the aquatrol or Zodiac clearwater
I am buying the pool this weekend, the store near my house sells the pool with the zodiac system, where as the store which sells the pool with the aquatrol systems is further away, and I would need to pay an extra 100$ to have them install everything.

any input on which system is better would be greatly appreciated

thanks

I'd ask myself a few questions to help clear up the decision.
  1. How long has the dealer been selling this unit?[/*:m:2503xjos]
  2. Does the dealer service the unit?[/*:m:2503xjos]
  3. How long has the dealer been in business?[/*:m:2503xjos]
  4. Does the dealer carry common replacement parts in stock?[/*:m:2503xjos]
Once you answer these questions, you should have a better feeling on which way to go.

In the Zodiac line, avoid the DuoClear. The AquaPure is fine. The Ei is too new for there to be any real user reactions available.

The AquaTrol has a timer, while none of the Zodiac units do. The AquaTrol and Ei are designed for use with a plug in pump, while the AquaPure units are designed for a hard wired install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is an old post, but I am just wondering what the OP ended up purchasing? I am in a similar situation....having a new pool put in and trying to figure out which SWG to go with.

I have a neighbour that has the zodiac, and our contractor gave us two options:
Choices:
1) Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ-CUL Salt Water Chlorine Generator - Up to 18,000 Gallons - $889 plus HST. Salt and Installation - $200 plus HST.

2) Pentair IntelliChlor Salt Water Chlorine Generator - Up to 20,000 Gallons - $1,463.00 plus HST. Salt and Installation - $200 plus HST

Not sure what you get with the extra pricetag for the IntelliChlor system.

Can anyone help another newbie out?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.