Hayward XStream cartridge filter SERIOUSLY vibrating

odddon

Jul 27, 2010
High Desert, Ca.
Let me start off by saying hello, and it looks like you folks have a nice place here. I recently married into a very neglected pool. It had lived for a few years on nothing but pucks and super shock'n'swim. Last off season it was really let go. The filter had been on a timer. There was a nice layer of leaves/mold/gunk on the bottom when I started trying to open it. I took the cartridge out and it was nasty. I scooped and swept and filtered and finally got it mostly clean, and with the help of another forum (someone there pointed me here for my question) got the water perfect once again.

My problem is that when cleaned, the cartridge housing vibrates like nobody's business, and the gauge goes from 10 to 20 psi, up and down. It sounds like a vibrating sander. If I restrict the return with this little fountain thingy my wife loves, I can get the noise to stop, but the psi is at 20 (it runs 10 psi normally). If I vacuum up the normal accumulation of blown-in high desert dirt, I can open the fountain and the noise stays gone, but even a small amount of dirt raises the psi back to 20 and there is very little return flow. I've cleaned the cartridge very well, and have done the dishwasher cleaner soak too.

Could the steady diet of pucks'n'shock, coupled with the serious neglect, have rendered the cartridge un-cleanable? Would a soak in a muriatic acid solution help? I bought a Pleatco replacement cartridge that works quietly, but the top and bottom openings are a little larger than the Hayward, so it doesn't catch all of the dirt that's vacuumed up. I can't afford another Hayward cartridge right now, so I use the old one when vacuuming, then put in the Pleatco in between cleanings, but this routine is getting old. Can I revive my old cartridge? Help! And thanx in advance. :mrgreen:

Welcome to TFP.

It doesn't sound like a clogged cartridge issue. Though it could be something structurally wrong with the cartridge, It sounds more like a cavitation issue due to high flow when the cartridge is clean. Are you getting air in the system anywhere?

Thanx! Nope, no air getting in anywhere, and the filter "looks" sound. When this first happened it seemed to be coming from the pressure gauge, so I took that out and cleaned it off, then replaced the dome without the cartridge and all was good. Yay! I put the cartridge back in and the buzz was back. Since it works normally with the new poor-fitting cartridge, maybe the old one is just tired after 5 years of desert life. I wish I had ponied up the extra $30 and gotten a Hayward replacement instead of the Pleatco now.

That definitely sounds like something structural in the cartridge itself.
I'd take it back out and check it really well to make sure something isn't loose in the cartridge.
Would an o-ring or gasket help the Pleatco fit better. Sounds like that may be an option.

Any chance there's air trapped in the tank, causing water hammer? If you have an air bleed, what happens when you crack it while it's running?

If you have the problem narrowed down to the element, buy a new one. It's gotta be cheaper and easier than fixing a cracked pipe.

Well, I went all MacGyver on the pleatco. Some duct tape and an old pair of socks later, I believe I have it seated quite well in the filter housing. The test will come in the morning when I vacuum. Hopefully the dirt stays in the cartridge and doesn't sneak past it and back into the pool. We'll see! :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.