Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt cell chlorine generation dependent on salt level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt cell chlorine generation dependent on salt level?

For a given operating percentage, will a SWG generator put out more Cl if the salt level is 3200ppm compared to 2800ppm? I had ratcheted my % up to 60% in recent weeks as my salt got down to 2700-2800ppm. I was consistently getting 4.5 - 5.0ppm FC. I added two 40-lb bags of salt, and my latest FC reading jumped up to 7.5ppm. I haven't seen that all summer, since the water temp started climbing.

My guess is no. I think the voltage and current change depending on the salt content, but I'm curious what might have caused the jump in my FC. It had been very consistent for weeks.

Thanks.
    25k gal IG freeform pool, gunite/plaster, built in 2006; Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/ T-CELL-15 SWG; Sta-Rite S8M150 cartridge filter; Sta-Rite SR400NA gas heater; Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt cell chlorine generation dependent on salt level?

depends on the SWG
    some control chlorine production and you get precise level you set it to, some float with salinity/temperature change

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is the Hayward T-CELL-15. Since it is set by percentage, it is relative to operating time. It operates in 2-hr cycles. If set to 50%, it's on for the first hour out of every 2-hr period. So will mine generate more chlorine due to high salt ppm? Is it proportional? All things being equal, would 3200ppm generate roughly 14% more chlorine compared to 2800ppm?
    25k gal IG freeform pool, gunite/plaster, built in 2006; Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/ T-CELL-15 SWG; Sta-Rite S8M150 cartridge filter; Sta-Rite SR400NA gas heater; Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

i don't believe it's a linear dependency on the whole scale, but roughly - i'd say so.
    assuming Hayward doesn't control the current (i don't know much about SWGs other than Autochlor).

now in models which do control the current, when you increase the salt level you get a benefit of them requiring less electricity to produce same amount of chlorine

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipH
    Mine is the Hayward T-CELL-15. Since it is set by percentage, it is relative to operating time. It operates in 2-hr cycles. If set to 50%, it's on for the first hour out of every 2-hr period. So will mine generate more chlorine due to high salt ppm? Is it proportional? All things being equal, would 3200ppm generate roughly 14% more chlorine compared to 2800ppm?
    That is the same as the Goldline. I'm pretty certain that having a higher salt concentration allows the unit to run at a lower current, I don't think it generates more CL.

On a related note, what about water flow through an SWG? I have noticed that I have to turn the cell up once my water gets warm enough that we don't run the solar much if at all (solar kicks the pump from low to high). I know that warmer water does require more CL, but is there a relation between water flow and CL production in an SWG?
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

if there is one it's insignificant

7. Back To Top    #7

The water flow vs chlorine production issues only come up at the extremes. If the water flow is way too low or way too high there can be problems. But for any normal range of flow rates everything is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School