I am probably supposed to start my own thread, but I had a very similar question about CYA/algae. Moderators please move me if necessary.
Unfortunately, I was lazy and used the pucks for too long this past spring. I started with a CYA around 50-70 before the pucks. While I was out of town last week I left my hubby in charge and he does not do "pool stuff" well. I told him to put in a gallon of 10% chlorine the day he told me he was beginning to see algae. He put in the bottle of regular bleach instead. It wasn't enough to shock the pool. Anyway, water is now cleared up after two days of 2gallons 12% chlorine.
My question is, now that my CYA is so high- (best estimate using the test kit is 120-140- CYA is still hard for me to read after a year of doing this) what is a safe level of chlorine to swim at with my high CYA levels? FC=17? I am about out of R-0871. Can I get more at Leslie's? or do I need to order from TFP? I have a 5 year old grandson and I don't want to harm his delicate skin. Any help would be appreciated. Also, my understanding is that I just have to keep a much higher FC level with the high CYA for the chlorine to be effective, correct?
I did actually drain off about 6 inches of water yesterday and then refilled about 8 inches total. 2 inches was evaporation loss. CYA was still above 100 for sure. I did read that to get my CYA levels down I should drain half of my pool. I have to drain to the street because we are on septic and I'm not sure how kindly the neighbors would take to 5,000 gallons running down the street. How much CYA does each of those darn "pucks" add?
I converted from Bacquacil last summer and I'm still glad I did.
CYA 120-140 see above explanation
CC .5 two days ago while shocking pool
FC- can't test out of reagent, last read before shooking the pool was 14.5 and two days ago while shocking 26.5