Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Nature 2/chlorine feeder question

1. Back To Top    #1

Nature 2/chlorine feeder question

My pool actually came with this duo setup. I have a full understanding of the N2 and will more than likely not use it. The chlorine feeder portion actually is built to hold a chlorine cartridge. My question is...can I break up my 3" pucks to fit in this slot? Hopefully I will not have to keep buying the chlorine feeder cartridges...thanks in advance.

1) 8500 Gallons (18 foot, 52 inches deep)
    2) Hayward Cartridge Filter
    3) Above Ground Pool
    4) Hayward 2 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nature 2/chlorine feeder question

Yes you can do that or buy the 1" tri chlor tabs. The cartridge is $12 per and if you buy the tabs and refill them its roughly $3 per fill.
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

3. Back To Top    #3

Remember, the pucks will add CYA, so you can only use them for so long before you get over stabilized.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to you both...I will watch my CYA real close! The reason that I asked about the 3" pucks is I have a most of a container still full of them...and it looks like they are to big to fit...thus the put in a bag and tap with a hammer to bring them down to a workable size. Do either of you know how long the Chlorine cartridges can last? I know all pools are different...just looking for a very rough estimate under ideal chemistry setup. Thanks again in advance!

3) Above Ground Pool
    4) Hayward 2 HP pump

5. Back To Top    #5

If you want to use the the 3" inchers, you can buy a floater cheap.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Grape Ape...I actually still have a floater from my old pool...just not a fan of them. Sounds like I can put them in the feeder...if that does not work I will pull the floater out of retirement at least until I get through the rest of the 3 inch tabs...thanks again to all.

3) Above Ground Pool
    4) Hayward 2 HP pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Not sure of the duration of the N2 cartridge but back in the day my Frog cartridge lasted 2 weeks at the most.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine lasts 10 days or so and my dads lasts 6-7 days. He has a ton or swimmers almost daily with 17 grandkids..
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER