Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: there is to many kits

1. Back To Top    #1

there is to many kits

Ok well really only 3 the TF-100 and the taylor 2005, or 2006. so here is my question. what one do i get? no just kidding! i really like taylor and want to maybe start to clean pools for my friend pool business and that made me lean more to taylor and then more to getting the PRO model 2006C. so what are your thoughts?
    20,000 gal, Cartridge,IG plaster,1 1/2hp motor and flow rate of 90-120, in sunny florida, Great White vacuum. Taking back my pool from the money hole pool store!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: there is to many kits

Welcome to TFP!

The TF-100 uses Taylor reagents and comes with larger quantities of the tests you use frequently, so it ends up being a much better deal. Ben's kit is no longer available, so that doesn't really count.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I am a Taylor K-2006 owner. That being said, I can honestly say that the TF-100 is the best value for a comprehensive kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I always thought that pool service companies use only test strips because they are easier and quicker. You mean some of them actually use test kits? Good for them.
    IG pebbletec pool: size of pool: 27,000 gal; filter: cartridge - Hayward Superstar Clear; pump size: 1.5 HP; TF 100 Test kit - got it on 7-29-10; The Pool Cleaner-4-wheel suction model; Pool calculator: http://www.poolcalculator.com/; bleach calc: http://troublefreepool.com/files/BleachCalc262.exe

5. Back To Top    #5

no i see service ppl with a taylor boxes on there carts all the time! i just feel that a taylor kit will have higher standards and be fresher than some one making kits in there garage?
    20,000 gal, Cartridge,IG plaster,1 1/2hp motor and flow rate of 90-120, in sunny florida, Great White vacuum. Taking back my pool from the money hole pool store!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Tftestkits.net is not "someone making kits in there garage". No one has better customer service and there are thousands of satisfied customers on this site who can give you first hand testing advice.

I've had my TF100 for 3 summers now (with the occasional refill of CYA and FC test reagents.) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as the best kit with the best value on the market.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I must 2nd PoolMom's point

My TF100 is the real deal and easily the best money saving move I've made this year.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Dave (aka Duraleigh) owns tftestkits.net. You won't find better customer service. He also is the owner of TFP. Anyone that helps as many people as Dave has will have my business

Take a peek at these recent threads about his character and the TF test kits

an-great-guy-that-dave-is-t25021.html

This one is especially relevant, especially the last post by a well established pool service

cheapest-place-to-buy-taylor-replacement-reagents-online-t23712.html
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy20
    ! i just feel that a taylor kit will have higher standards and be fresher than some one making kits in there garage?
    I've typically found that my online sources have fresher product than local stores for lots of things; vitamins, special cooking oils, so many specialty items are that way. Local stores don't seem to move a lot of test kits, and therefor the markup has to be pretty high. Sometimes it seems they actively discourage home testing as it could deprive them of a chance to sell products.

I just wish I could find a site for popcorn -- I just hate microwave popcorn and my Stir Crazy does a perfect job of it but the grocery store popcorn is stale.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok sorry if i bashed on TF-100 kits. now i know all this info i will inform others that may be wounding the same thing. Sorry Dave (aka Duraleigh). so what is the diffrence between the TF-100 and the TF-100XL. look at the site they say you get double the reactants in the 100 from 1 oz to 2 oz so does the 100xl have 4 oz then? http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-TF-100-p4.html

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy20
    look at the site they say you get double the reactants in the 100 from 1 oz to 2 oz so does the 100xl have 4 oz then? http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-TF-100-p4.html
    Read carefully...that is only true for the R-0871 in the TF100, it used to be 1oz and now it is 2oz.

The TF-100 XL differs from the TF-100 by containing double the amount of R-0870 powder (20g instead of 10g) and R-0871 (4oz instead of 2oz).
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

(Hum, dmanb2b was faster, but there is some extra info here.)

The difference between the TF-100 and the TF-100XL is spelled out exactly on the TFTestKits.net site:
    Quote Originally Posted by TFtestKits.net
    The TF-100 XL differs from the TF-100 by containing double the amount of R-0870 and R-0871. These two reagents are used in testing very accurately for high levels of chlorine....something you will need to do frequently if you have a green, swampy pool or you are converting from baquacil.
    The TF-100 has 10g of R-0870 and 2 oz of R-0871. The TF-100XL has 20 g of R-0870 and 4 oz of R-0871.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I have to say the TF100 is the bomb.
    AG 18x33 15700 gal 1hp 22" sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the Taylor 2005 kit, I paid $180 CDN for it from the only pool store that had an advanced kit in stock.

Its a good kit, has everything you might need to maintain your pool although salt is not part of the kit. The manual (waterproof!) that came with the kit is exceptionally good and seems to support using household chemicals to maintain your pool as it gives common measures for pool sizes to raise and lower important factors (although it does not mention borates).

I have been very happy with it.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

The Taylor K-2005 does not contain the FAS/DPD chlorine test. That test is virtually essential for measuring high FC accurately which is an important part of BBB. The 2005 is a good kit but is missing that VERY important test.

Both the Taylor K-2006 and the TF-100 contain the FAS/DPD chlorine test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

I heart my TF100 kit. I'd marry it if I'm not already married.
    Pool size = 24,000 gal.; rectangular 3 ft shallow, 8 ft deep
    Jacuzzi Sand Filter (can't find the model) flow rate 60, Pentair Super Flo, 1HP
    Pool is inground/indoor and white plaster, TF-100 Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Just ordered the TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

well i just jumped on the bandwagon for the TF-100XL. Will see how good this kit is!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    The Taylor K-2005 does not contain the FAS/DPD chlorine test. That test is virtually essential for measuring high FC accurately which is an important part of BBB. The 2005 is a good kit but is missing that VERY important test.

Both the Taylor K-2006 and the TF-100 contain the FAS/DPD chlorine test.

Your right it only does DPD Chlorine but it lets me measure to 25ppm FC just not as accurately. For FC/TC levels of 10ppm and under it works fine, I can tell the color differences between 1 to 5ppm and 5 to 9ppm quite easily using distilled water at 50%.

The FAS/DPD is better for those that have trouble determining colors or who need to maintain a FC level above 10 if the CYA is high, it may be more accurate but I question how much more accurate do you need to be if I can determine +- 1 ppm up to 10ppm FC? Remember shipping chemicals to another country can be a pain (hence why I bought locally), nobody had the K2006 kit in stock here. Pinpoint accuracy is great and having one test to cover a broader range of values is handy...if its required. For normal daily maintenance on a pool with a CYA level under 60 or so the CK2005 kit will work fine especially once you get a feel for it and see how chemical additions affect your pool chemistry, however it does take a bit more experience and skill to read accurately.

I am satisfied with the results from a more basic kit.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

20. Back To Top    #20

TF-100 is the best all round kit
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast