Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where can I safely drain my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where can I safely drain my pool?

Might be draining my pool in the next few days in order to put up a bigger one I bought for next year on craigslist just to test its integrity. Seems prudent to be sure it actually holds water before I pass on all the end-of-season sales and end up paying too much at the beginning of next year. My current pool is about 3500 gallons. All it has in it is salt (1800 ppm); bleach; and 40ish CYA. I don't want to drain it out the bottom drain because I don't want to saturate the site I'll be putting up the bigger pool on. I don't recall any problem draining it into the grass last year, but I didn't have the salt in there and also probably had much less CYA.

1. If I drain it out a hose into the grass or a big bed of perennials, will the chemicals in the pool damage the grass or flowers?

2. If I let the FC get to 1 or zero before draining, is that sufficient to "de-chemicalize" it so it can go down a storm sewer -- or does the CYA or salt pose problems in that regard? Not asking for answers about City codes that bear on it, just wondering from a chemical standpoint, if that makes sense.

Thanks for any info.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where can I safely drain my pool?

Howdy crek. I forget where you are located. Someone will be along soon to give good advice. 3500 gallons of water is not much water to be putting down the drain, unless you are on an old septic tank system. Many households use that much water in a day or so, sorry to say. Lower amounts of chlorine shouldn't hurt your grass and many plants. Salt might be an issue unless you have plants that do well in coastal regions, ie., salt. Some plants won't be so sensitive to the salt; others might. Fertilizers???? They add salts to the soil. Also do you know if your native soil is on the acid or alkaline side. Your yard might be different than your plant beds especially if you add a lot of amendments to the beds.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

3. Back To Top    #3

crek's sig says Nebraska. Not much ocean there....

As a rule, chlorine at normal pool levels is not a real problem for vegetation. I have read somebody's report of "burning" some sensitive plants, which was attributed to borates. Don't remember about salt. Sewer would be safest, after that I'd probably pick the grass over the storm drain--that way it's only your own lawn you're messing with.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

The salt is the great unknown... otherwise I'd say the lawn. If you have a pump and enough hose, flush out your sewer! Maybe there's a cleanout nearby that you can open and pump it into. Or the washing machine drain. Stick it through a window and into a toilet. Seems like 3500 gallons of clear water will do wonders to clean out and sludge in the pipes.

And nobody will see you do it - no telltale water in the gutters.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I've not drained that much water yet for any circumstance, but I would say if you don't have access to a drain like the others are saying... and don't put it down a septic, you should be safe using your lawn.

I too have an SWG and therefore salt in my pool and when we get too much rain and have to drain some off the top or when we backwash, we let the water go into our grass area and have no ill effects as of yet. The earthworms come up pretty quickly, so much be really offensive to them, but the grass has not been bothered by it as of yet... and that's with the FC at around 5.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Had not thought of putting it in the sanitary sewer -- I'll see if I can figure out a way to do that if DH is worried about the lawn. Sounds like you all agree that although sparkly, it is not water that should go into the storm sewer. Oh well, thought I'd ask. Thanks, everyone.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

7. Back To Top    #7

If it's legal in your area, I see no problem running it into the storm sewer.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

When my water level would be to high I used to drain onto the lawn (bermuda) until it started to die because of the salt. A lot on here will shame me for saying this but all I have in my pool is the salt. Its crystal clear no algae and doesnt smell.
    20'x 48" Intex.