Hayward 2 hp stopped running today 3 years old

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I went out to take a dip in the pool and found the pump not running...it should have been because it was supposed to be set for an 18 hour run. It turned out that the circuit breaker in the house tripped. I re set that and then went out and hit the switch...it had power but just hummed...hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
After a backyard barage of profanity that I can only hope was not heard by anyone...FPM knows what I am capable of... :rant: :mrgreen: I calmly started disecting...I took the pump basket assembly off and then the impeller cover...the impeller moved freely and when I removed it the shaft and motor both turned freely. So I reassembled and took back out to the pool. When I plugged it in it primed up and started pumping right away. So what do you think the problem was? Can anyone let me know if I have anything to worry about, or is it one of those things? Thanks

Cubbybeave...

We have the same problem with ours except ours is probably 10 years old or older. The first time it happened, we reset all the circuit breakers, checked the pump basket and the impeller and then reset the circuit breaker again. We hit the circuit breaker a few times and it worked. First of all, we think the circuit breaker is not working right. It had to be pushed down hard unlike the others. The thing still hums but it manages to turn itself on most of the time. Sometimes when we turn it on manually, it hums for a while and then it works. From what we read on this site, it might be the capacitor. It may have to be replaced but we did not get a chance to get the problem diagnosed yet by a professional.

centrifugal switch would be my bet.
My neighbors pump did the same thing. Pool store said it was done for. I stated I would take his pump if he really wanted to listen to them. He allowed me to take a look. i look online and under the troubleshooting guide in the owners manual was centrifugal switch or jammed imperller so I did the same as you the impeler turned freely so took the back cover of the motor and could clearly see the centrifufal switch was stuck in the out position. I put it back on its guides plugged it in pump has worked great for 1.5 months now, and i dont have to pay for my bleach for a year.

imwarren said:
centrifugal switch would be my bet.
My neighbors pump did the same thing. Pool store said it was done for. I stated I would take his pump if he really wanted to listen to them. He allowed me to take a look. i look online and under the troubleshooting guide in the owners manual was centrifugal switch or jammed imperller so I did the same as you the impeler turned freely so took the back cover of the motor and could clearly see the centrifufal switch was stuck in the out position. I put it back on its guides plugged it in pump has worked great for 1.5 months now, and i dont have to pay for my bleach for a year.

That is what I told my wife...What causes that and what does the switch look like? I don't see it on the diagram in my manual. When I took it apart and moved it would it have gone back into place?

its located on the back of the motor shaft it is conected to the shaft with springs (aprox 1 inch long) the one I fixed was 2 parts 1 spring on each side of the shaft.

I was thinking maybe there is an electrical lube that could be used as it seems these could get stuck on their guides fairly easily

found this picture it is the part conect arround the motor shaft by the 2 springs

Attachments

• motor picture.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 311
Hey Warren,
I was just wondering. I just went out to shut the pump off, I figured not to let it run all night long. But when I did I noticed a lot of hot air blowing out of the back vents. I don't remember that at all most of the summer. I generally run it on a 12 hour cycle...from 8 am to 8 pm...But last night I ran it on 18 hours from 6 am to 12 midight...or so. When I was working on it I cleaned a lot of cotton wood and spider webby kind of dust and dirt out of the vent in the front and the underside on the back. Could I have over heated the pump? If so...Doesn't the pump have a safety shut off for over heating? Instead it hit the circuit breaker...Just wondering?

That could be possible but the humming sounds to me like the motor was trying to turn but not enough power which is what the centrifugal switch does is give the motor a kick start. I think heat sometimes causes the switch to stick. The day my neighbors stuck it was hot out and the motor was blowing lots of heat out the back. his did the same as your it tripped the circuit breaker instead of the motor safty switch. I think when you manually turned the motor shaft it reset the centri switch. But good that you got all that stuff off the motor has to help!!!

imwarren said:
That could be possible but the humming sounds to me like the motor was trying to turn but not enough power which is what the centrifugal switch does is give the motor a kick start. I think heat sometimes causes the switch to stick. The day my neighbors stuck it was hot out and the motor was blowing lots of heat out the back. his did the same as your it tripped the circuit breaker instead of the motor safty switch. I think when you manually turned the motor shaft it reset the centri switch. But good that you got all that stuff off the motor has to help!!!

All I can say is I am glad I didn't panic...I thought what the heck I have no warranty...if I mess it up I have to buy a new one anyway...but if I fix it then I am all good. Thanks for the information about the Centrifual switch...I know how to check that now.

Beave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to give another vote. I believe it was the centrifugal start switch as well. If that switch sticks open when the motor is stopped the main windings are the only thing trying to start the motor and it causes the motor to create a lot higher than full load or even starting amps. That will trip the breaker before the thermal switch has time to heat up.

Low voltage will do the same thing as what you are describing. (at least according to my electrician).
I am fighting with the power co. now, on 1 leg of my power I have seen it as low as 85 volts,
causing everything on that side of the power to be either dim or in the case of motors heat up.

I was thinking maybe there is an electrical lube that could be used as it seems these could get stuck on their guides fairly easily

At work we lube many electrical contacts and their moving parts with plain old vaseline. These are usually on equipment with regular maintenance so twice a year the old vaseline is removed and replaced. No reason you couldn't do the same with your pump. Once at the start of the year and again later if you still had issues.

Shane1 said:
I'm glad you got the pump going. I thought the switch is there to stop current when the motor is stopped from mechanical failure or locked up from debris in the impeller?

No the centrifugal switch is there to actually get the shaft and impeller moving at start up. When it gets stuck in the open positition it cannot get the wingdings moving thus the motor only hums and noting happens. THat was the first thing I checked and there was nothing bogging the impeller down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.