New plaster discolored

caljw

Mar 27, 2010
San Diego
Guys....I had the pool re plastered in March and in June added Borax to 50ppm. Now there is a problem with discolored plaster, it looks like an 8 year old pool....gray blotches and streaks.
The tech from the contractor came and checked the water and filter etc. Of course my water is perfect, thanks to this site :-D.
He thought a high stabilizer may be the cause, but mine is fine. Now he will have the owner and plaster product reps come out to look. The plaster is white/quartz.

Question: Is there any chance at all the borates would cause this? Any other complaints?

Thanks much for feedback....cal

OK doing more reading...sounds like the problem could be "calcium cylicate hydration" causing uneven set rate of plaster???
Way out of my league here...but it sounds impressive and the symptoms are the same as mine...dark modeling and staining of new plaster...

I know, pictures would help but not in a position to do that right now...believe me water is perfect. More reading also indicates that over-troweling can cause graying. In fact some of my gray stains are in an arc just like a trowel would make. Other stains are more like mottleling or marbleing which articles say is caused by hydration problems at start up. Dunno. Just preparing for a battle with contractor :(

Your interpretation is plausible, though hydration issues usually show up relatively quickly, not after months. There isn't enough info here for me to have my own opinion if you are right or not. Metal stains are also a possibility, though they don't tend to be gray.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.