Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New plaster discolored

1. Back To Top    #1

New plaster discolored

Guys....I had the pool re plastered in March and in June added Borax to 50ppm. Now there is a problem with discolored plaster, it looks like an 8 year old pool....gray blotches and streaks.
    The tech from the contractor came and checked the water and filter etc. Of course my water is perfect, thanks to this site .
    He thought a high stabilizer may be the cause, but mine is fine. Now he will have the owner and plaster product reps come out to look. The plaster is white/quartz.

Question: Is there any chance at all the borates would cause this? Any other complaints?

Thanks much for feedback....cal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New plaster discolored

OK doing more reading...sounds like the problem could be "calcium cylicate hydration" causing uneven set rate of plaster???
    Way out of my league here...but it sounds impressive and the symptoms are the same as mine...dark modeling and staining of new plaster...

3. Back To Top    #3

Any chance of some pictures? Calcium scale could look that way too, but it sounds like you've got good control of your chemistry.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

I know, pictures would help but not in a position to do that right now...believe me water is perfect. More reading also indicates that over-troweling can cause graying. In fact some of my gray stains are in an arc just like a trowel would make. Other stains are more like mottleling or marbleing which articles say is caused by hydration problems at start up. Dunno. Just preparing for a battle with contractor

5. Back To Top    #5

Well here's what I think is going on. This article sums it up nicely.......

http://poolhelp.com/handouts/oB_Hydrati ... andout.pdf

6. Back To Top    #6

Your interpretation is plausible, though hydration issues usually show up relatively quickly, not after months. There isn't enough info here for me to have my own opinion if you are right or not. Metal stains are also a possibility, though they don't tend to be gray.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School