CH Question

Jun 22, 2010
Frisco, Texas
I have had my test kit about 5 weeks maybe, and I have almost gotten everything where it needs to be, except the CH. When I do this test, it does not turn red, but pink. I continued on with the test, and according to it, my CH is somewhere around 900-920. Doesn't that sound extremely high? When i empty out the pool cleaner, i dump the sand into a bucket. After a day, the sand has dried and turned white. Am I seeing a really large amount of calcium or is this normal with new plaster and swg? Thanks again for everyones answers.

simicrintz said:
Are you saying you have new plaster and your CH is that high? What is your fill water CH level?

Normal CH for a plaster pool is between 200-400 ppm.

Yes, it is a new pool this year with plaster/quartz mix. I'm not sure what the fill water level is. Is it possible I am reading the test wrong when I put the drops in the tube and it only turns pink? It is not turning a dark or bright colored red. This is why I am not sure if I am doing the test correctly.

The CH test is a hard test to run because it takes a ton of swirling, and not swirling enough makes a big difference in the outcome. Does the test turn blue at the end?
Have you read the sticky Extended-Test-Kit-Directions in Testing and Balancing?

Have you tested your fill water to see what the CH in it is? If you have really high fill water it's possible that you have really high pool water especially with new plaster.

Bama Rambler said:
The CH test is a hard test to run because it takes a ton of swirling, and not swirling enough makes a big difference in the outcome. Does the test turn blue at the end?
Have you read the sticky Extended-Test-Kit-Directions in Testing and Balancing?

Have you tested your fill water to see what the CH in it is? If you have really high fill water it's possible that you have really high pool water especially with new plaster.

I think I will test my fill water tonight and see what happens.

Checked my fill water last night. Fill water is 450. After that i rechecked my pool water and got 850. From what I am reading, there is not much I can do. I drained 25% of the water in late June due to the salt level being to high. It has taken me since then to get the other numbers in line. Looks like I will have to live with it.

With high fill water CH levels you want to take advantage of as much rain as you can and also keep an eye out to see if the fill water CH level is lower at some other time of year (it often varies through the year).

Managing CH levels up to about 1,200 is possible if you keep your PH and TA levels under control. You can use the CSI function in the Pool Calculator to play with various possible PH and TA levels to see what is appropriate for your CH level. You want to try to keep CSI below 0.3, ideally just below zero.

I have heard rumors of an R/O outfit (somewhere!) in Texas; you might want to see if you can locate them and see if they service your area. Those are awful high CH numbers, and it will be a bit of a challenge to control calcium scaling.

Scottg8580 said:
Checked my fill water last night. Fill water is 450.

:shock: 450???

I'm about 6 miles to the west of you and our fill water has a CH of 80 to 100. I have not heard of such a high municipal fill water CH anywhere in north central Texas. I would be curious to know what Frisco's water source is. That is very, very strange.

257WbyMag said:
Scottg8580 said:
Checked my fill water last night. Fill water is 450.

:shock: 450???

I'm about 6 miles to the west of you and our fill water has a CH of 80 to 100. I have not heard of such a high municipal fill water CH anywhere in north central Texas. I would be curious to know what Frisco's water source is. That is very, very strange.

Unless I am doing the test wrong. When I put in the drops, the water is not turning a dark red, only a pinkish color. Does this sound right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
The final color on the TA test does vary somewhat depending on what else is in your water. The exact color is not critical.

On the TA test, yes. He's talking about the CH test though.

It starts out pink, then purple, then blue being the endpoint. If you are getting purple, you just aren't finished yet.

This is a test where having a magnetic stirrer can really be great. TFTestkits.net sells the Taylor Speed Stir. Check it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.