Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick Question on Chlorinators

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick Question on Chlorinators

Can anyone tell me why i cant put cal hypo briquettes/tabs into a chlorinator that is meant for TCCA? I seem to find that Cal Hypo feeders sell for more.

Is this to do with scaling or are there other issues involved?
    27,500gal IG plaster that needs recoating/painting!, Pentair Whisper-flo 1hp 2 speed, 48sf DE, Pentair Legend II pressure-side cleaner, BBB newbie

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick Question on Chlorinators

Cal Hypo tablets dissolve much more easily than trichlor pucks. As such they can't use the same chlorinators.

Don't add either product to a chlorinator that has been used for the other.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I think this is also to do with the fact that trichlor and cal hypo don't get along.

I live a few miles from a pool chemical manufacturer, a few years back they had a big fire when two chemicals came together.
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

4. Back To Top    #4

Mixing chlorine types is dangerous. I'm not sure exactly what bad chemical reactions would take place, but I wouldn't want to find out first-hand.

Also, trichlor tabs dissolve nicely, staying hard and crunchy as they slowly dissolve. Cal-hypo tabs sort of turn into a mushy mess, so the feeder has to be designed differently to work with them.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

The isocyanurates (stabilized chlorine) in the trichlor are acidic. When that acid hits the basic cal hypo;

BOOM!
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh right, now i see. Cal Hypo feeders seem rather expensive.
    27,500gal IG plaster that needs recoating/painting!, Pentair Whisper-flo 1hp 2 speed, 48sf DE, Pentair Legend II pressure-side cleaner, BBB newbie

7. Back To Top    #7

This thread: Mixing Chemicals illustrates the reaction nicely.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280