Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquidator: in-line debris filter/screen

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquidator: in-line debris filter/screen

For some reason, when I installed the LQ a year ago, I installed the water in-take line (pressure) in the pump outflow and before filter. (I believe I read that would increase pressure)

Because the water isnt filtered, I sometimes get small debris that pass through the pump filter, and are getting trapped in the float valve of water arriving into LQ. Twice, the float valve hasnt been able to close and the LQ has over flowed

Does anyone have a part number for a small in line filter or debris screen that would catch the very small debris?

I have made the 3/8" upgrade. (Last year before the upgrade, this overflow never happened - but i dont think there is a correlation)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquidator: in-line debris filter/screen

I used this one from an old Polaris dichlor feeder (see picture). I had a lot of very hard WS on mine tonight (ironically) and put the screen inside in some MA to clean it (looks like new now!). All of the WS would have ended up in my check valves and flow meter (I have the 3/8" upgrade also) before, and it is working just fine. As a note, I have never had mine overflow, as it is not below grade (we do have a few LQ's on vanishing edge pools with the upgrades that are below grade and have not overflowed either).

I can see if I can get you a part number if you like. I'm not sure if they are sold separately or not though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Back To Top    #3

While you are correct about placement between the pump and filter will provide more pressure, there is no need for more pressure on the inlet side of the LQ. Even at 5cc/min (flow meter maxed out) a few inches of pressure on LQ inlet side will provide enough flow to keep the LQ full. Negative head pressure at the LQ outlet side is the critical parameter. You need enough negative head to get a flow of 5cc/min through the flow meter.

By adding a filter to the LQ inlet you're doing basically the same thing as putting the LQ inlet on the clean side of the main filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to u both.

Bama Rambler: I certainly should have placed the intake line AFTER the filter. I have an option to close the hole I have made where it is now, in the pipe leading TO teh filter and drill a second hole in the elbow AFTER the filter.

My elbow (the only place available) is exactly like the one in the picture Simicrintz posted above

QUESTION: is it okay to drill into the elbow? If so, i suspect the hole should be made not at the angle but just before it where there are two layers of PVC

Simicrintz, I would appreciate a part number if possible. What you have is what I have been looking for, should I not drill a second hole in PVC. Many thanks

(BTW, the reason for LQ overflowing is not its location to the pool. Its just that the valve is stuck open with a piece of debris.)

5. Back To Top    #5

Simicrintz, I found the Polaris part on the internet. Price is way too high at $75 for the assembly. I will be able to find another one on the internet, now that I know what works. Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

It's safe to drill the elbow but if you can keep from having to that's the best plan.

Do a search for inline strainer and you should be able to find something fairly cheap.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Bruce and Dave, what material is the screen on the strainer you use? Is it metal or plastic? I have found a seemingly fine strainer but the seller is recommending stainless steel over Polypropylene. (http://www.vacmotion.com/In-Line%20Strainers.htm)

While the water flowing FROM the pump isnt a high chlorine content, I am still nervous about inserting any metal in the process

Maybe I shouldn't be

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Stainless steel doesn't do good in chlorine service. That whole chloride stress cracking thing. I'd go with the PP. It works great and there's no temperature concern in this service.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Mine is a metal mesh (maybe stainless, I would guess). It came with the dichlor feeder, which I had installed for about 2 years (and back about 6 years ago!). It looks like brand new still, but I'll have to watch it and see how it does in this application!

10. Back To Top    #10

It maybe 400 series stainless or some other metal. It could be hastelloy but I'm not sure they'd make them out of that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

What about the paint filters Miranda found? She posted about them in the other LQ thread. Would they work?
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.