Green Envy Muriatic Replacement?

bunedockmama

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2010
I bought this today. It doesn't have any active ingredient %. Nor any good instructions other than to add 1 pint per a 10,000 gallon pool.

How do I use the Pool Calculator with this product?

It is made by Sunny Side Corp. and the web site is the same with a dot com. I went to that site and could not find much info other than it is less caustic??.

Anyone know what this is, how much to use, recommend it or not use it at all?

I think I made a mistake!

Thanks in advance

Snake oil.

It's marketed as Muriatic Acid replacement, yet the MSDS says it's 19.81% HCl......It's just weak Muriatic Acid..... :grrrr:

Plus some unspecified Ethoxylated Amines - whatever they are, Urea, and Citric Acid. Urea is Nitrogen-rich, so it will feed algae. And it gives off ammonia in the presence of water. Ammonia and Chlorine do not play well together.

I wouldn't put it in my pool. If you can't return it, might be useful for cleaning concrete or getting rid of scaling in the shower or toilet bowl.

I'm amazed that they market it for pools when it contains amines and urea, the very things you want to avoid in your pool water! Urea in particular comes from urine, and we all know that can't be good! (An aside: as a child, I remember a sign at a public pool that stated, "We don't swim in your toilet, please don't pee in our pool!" )

In any event, DO NOT put that product in your pool - if the store won't take it back, maybe you can save it for cleaning concrete some day.

Yes, as DWS said, do not put it in your pool. It may be fine for your sidewalk or driveway, but you shouldn't use such a product in your pool.

Thank you all so much. This is exactly why I posted, because I was afraid to put it in the pool.

You people are terrific! :goodjob: So glad I asked before adding it.

Will just use it in the toilet. :party:

I can understand why you would want to look for something other than muriatic acid to use to lower pH. It is nasty stuff; while some people worry about handling liquid chlorine bleach, I think handling muriatic acid is more dangerous. There are also dry acid powders one can use to lower pH. If you haven't already done so, see the Pool Chemicals section of Pool School on this site on the different options.

Muriatic acid is preferred over dry acid because the dry acid adds sulphur.

My preferred method to adding muriatic acid is to fill a 5 gallon pail about 3/4 full of water and add the acid to that. This way you can add the acid quickly (to the bucket) instead of pouring slowly (to the pool) thereby minimizing exposure to the fumes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
svenpup said:
Muriatic acid is preferred over dry acid because the dry acid adds sulphur.

My preferred method to adding muriatic acid is to fill a 5 gallon pail about 3/4 full of water and add the acid to that. This way you can add the acid quickly (to the bucket) instead of pouring slowly (to the pool) thereby minimizing exposure to the fumes.

I like that idea, will do that when I get the correct acid.

Did I also read somewhere at TFP, to NOT pour the water to the acid, only add the acid to the water?

Bunedockmama, one rule you should follow is to never purchase any product for your pool that does not list the ingredients. You will avoid snake oil, unnecessary expensive products, and products that are harmful to your pool. By knowing the ingredients if the product is helpful you can do price comparisons. This leads to following the BBB method. You purchase baking soda instead of alkalinity increaser and borax instead of pool optimizer. You save money!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.