Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Envy Muriatic Replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Envy Muriatic Replacement?

I bought this today. It doesn't have any active ingredient %. Nor any good instructions other than to add 1 pint per a 10,000 gallon pool.

How do I use the Pool Calculator with this product?

It is made by Sunny Side Corp. and the web site is the same with a dot com. I went to that site and could not find much info other than it is less caustic??.

Anyone know what this is, how much to use, recommend it or not use it at all?

I think I made a mistake!

Thanks in advance

AGP, POPUP, 3800GAL. SWG 2000 GPH pump. Over the wall skimmer. SE TX. NEWBIE

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Envy Muriatic Replacement?

Snake oil.

It's marketed as Muriatic Acid replacement, yet the MSDS says it's 19.81% HCl......It's just weak Muriatic Acid.....

Plus some unspecified Ethoxylated Amines - whatever they are, Urea, and Citric Acid. Urea is Nitrogen-rich, so it will feed algae. And it gives off ammonia in the presence of water. Ammonia and Chlorine do not play well together.

I wouldn't put it in my pool. If you can't return it, might be useful for cleaning concrete or getting rid of scaling in the shower or toilet bowl.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bunedockmama
    I went to that site and could not find much info other than it is less caustic??.
    I love how they put a spin on everything! Of course it's less caustic, it's acid! What could be less caustic than that?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm amazed that they market it for pools when it contains amines and urea, the very things you want to avoid in your pool water! Urea in particular comes from urine, and we all know that can't be good! (An aside: as a child, I remember a sign at a public pool that stated, "We don't swim in your toilet, please don't pee in our pool!" )

In any event, DO NOT put that product in your pool - if the store won't take it back, maybe you can save it for cleaning concrete some day.
    25 K gal, vinyl, IG, next to forest,liquid chlorine and tab chlorinator backup,55gpm sand filter,1.5hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, as DWS said, do not put it in your pool. It may be fine for your sidewalk or driveway, but you shouldn't use such a product in your pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all so much. This is exactly why I posted, because I was afraid to put it in the pool.

You people are terrific! So glad I asked before adding it.

Will just use it in the toilet.

7. Back To Top    #7

...just don't mix it with chlorine bleach or other cleaning products.
    25 K gal, vinyl, IG, next to forest,liquid chlorine and tab chlorinator backup,55gpm sand filter,1.5hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DWSPool
    ...just don't mix it with chlorine bleach or other cleaning products.
    Thanks for adding that. I knew not to, but someone else reading this thread may not be aware of it.

9. Back To Top    #9

I can understand why you would want to look for something other than muriatic acid to use to lower pH. It is nasty stuff; while some people worry about handling liquid chlorine bleach, I think handling muriatic acid is more dangerous. There are also dry acid powders one can use to lower pH. If you haven't already done so, see the Pool Chemicals section of Pool School on this site on the different options.

10. Back To Top    #10

Muriatic acid is preferred over dry acid because the dry acid adds sulphur.

My preferred method to adding muriatic acid is to fill a 5 gallon pail about 3/4 full of water and add the acid to that. This way you can add the acid quickly (to the bucket) instead of pouring slowly (to the pool) thereby minimizing exposure to the fumes.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    Muriatic acid is preferred over dry acid because the dry acid adds sulphur.

My preferred method to adding muriatic acid is to fill a 5 gallon pail about 3/4 full of water and add the acid to that. This way you can add the acid quickly (to the bucket) instead of pouring slowly (to the pool) thereby minimizing exposure to the fumes.
    I like that idea, will do that when I get the correct acid.

Did I also read somewhere at TFP, to NOT pour the water to the acid, only add the acid to the water?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by bunedockmama
    ...Did I also read somewhere at TFP, to NOT pour the water to the acid, only add the acid to the water?
    Yes! Always add acid to water. Never add water to acid.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

13. Back To Top    #13

Hmm, wonder why they called it Green Envy??? Maybe they know it will feed algae?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

14. Back To Top    #14

Here's a memory prompter: think of A & W root beer, a good thing! - A in W - Acid in Water (not water in acid)

15. Back To Top    #15

Bunedockmama, one rule you should follow is to never purchase any product for your pool that does not list the ingredients. You will avoid snake oil, unnecessary expensive products, and products that are harmful to your pool. By knowing the ingredients if the product is helpful you can do price comparisons. This leads to following the BBB method. You purchase baking soda instead of alkalinity increaser and borax instead of pool optimizer. You save money!
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit