Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help to repair metal coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help to repair metal coping

We have an 40 year old Pacific Pool and the metal coping is rusting. We have tried painting it each year and the rust returns. Even when we paint it, it doesn't look good... have no way of sanding it all down without getting all the paint chips in the pool. Is there some vinyl that can be stuck to it or some other ideas we could think about short of filling in the pool? Or can the metal coping be replaced?
    DIY IGP 14'x28' freeform. Sand filter. 3/4HP Pump. Zodiac MX8 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Ottawa, ON, Canada

Re: Need help to repair metal coping

so what if the paint chips end up in the pool? Won't the filter catch it? the only way to fix the rust issue is to first remove the rust. Then you protect the material.
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

3. Back To Top    #3

So, after it is taken off... then what do I put on it so it the rust won't come back? When it is sanded it still looks reddish. Tried using primer .. yet doesn't look good. What is the best paint to use? enamel?
    DIY IGP 14'x28' freeform. Sand filter. 3/4HP Pump. Zodiac MX8 cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Olney, MD

I am in the same situation, rusting coping. My plan is to try sanding and then an epoxy paint.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

North Central Texas

How about a "rust stopping" primer. I have some around here but can't lay my hands on it. I don't even know if I've used it yet but have plenty of projects that need it that keep getting push down to the bottom of list.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

6. Back To Top    #6
    Mendota Heights, MN

fhess look in this thread:
    it is a long one but Kias did a lot of rust coverting. Besides it is an interesting and fun thread.
    Also look at this:
    I think the idea of truck bed liner would be a good solution for you. I know that a friend of mine spray it on the outside and inside of his AGP before he semi-buried it.
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota