Help ID'ing PVC pipes.

Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Brand new to the forum, first day looking & first post, and I have a question no one I know personally has the answer to, even Google. The house is in Las Vegas and I don't know measurements or anything yet as we only have an offer in on the house and no answer yet.

I'm looking at purchasing a larger house that has a pool, Pebble Tec I believe, and it has 5 PVC pipes (2 have same diameter & 3 others same diameter) coming out of the back area vertically closest to the rear wall that I can't identify. My first thought was tiki torch holders, kinda close together, or possibly to go to a waterfall type of thing but doesn't seem likely. If anybody can tell me what these do or the reason they're there I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Along right side of picture.
pool1.jpg

The mystery PVC hole. There are 5 of these.
house058.jpg

Towards back wall.
poolfrommaster.jpg

house016.jpg

How many pumps are there? That may have been for a water feature that used urns or pots of some sort, and they bubbled up. Hard to tell without seeing the equipment area also.

It looks like 4 pipes at that "pad" area. The one in the pool is probably a "frothy bubbler".

Whereabouts are you in Vegas? I have a friend out there that may be able to stop by and take a look for you.

There are 4 on the pad area and one to the left. I'd guess the inner diameter is approx 1.5" on the PVC pipes. I'm a pool newbie and I took a look and it only appeared to have 1 pump. I'm hoping to hear back today if my offer on the house got accepted and if it did I'll be headed over to take more pictures to post of the rest of the set up. The house is located in Southern Highlands on the south side of town.

Based on the shape of the pool I would guess it was some sort of water feature, water fall, or maybe even a spill over hot tub. I suspect it was removed to allow access to the back corner of the lot without having to go through the pool. Based on number of pipes I would guess hot tub, but that certainly seems like it was not much space for one, then again it is a wall to wall pool.

Ike

Isaac-1 said:
Based on the shape of the pool I would guess it was some sort of water feature, water fall, or maybe even a spill over hot tub. I suspect it was removed to allow access to the back corner of the lot without having to go through the pool. Based on number of pipes I would guess hot tub, but that certainly seems like it was not much space for one, then again it is a wall to wall pool.

Ike
I thought it might be a water feature as well but there's definitely not enough room for any sort of hot tub. Still waiting to hear from realtor... tick tick tick... Thanks for the warm welcome and everyone's help thus far. :wave:

Good news is they accepted our offer on the house today! :party: I'll be going over to the house to take a lot more pictures of the mystery PVC piping and also the pump station so that hopefully I can get further advice on how to proceed from here.

Also, the pool looks clear and the water looks nice but after doing lots of reading here I think the consensus is to run with the BBB method. The house won't be ours for at least 30 days due to escrow but I'd like to get the pool up to par before we move in. Would it be advisable to just start with the TF-100 or simply use a Wal-Mart brand or pool store guy for now? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats on the house.

BBB is definitely the way to go - especially in Vegas since you'll be keeping the pool open all year. I couldn't recommend the TF-100 more highly. The cheaper test kits dont have an accurate Chlorine Test (FAS-DPD). Judging by that floater in the pool your CYA is high and the FAS-DPD test is essential. Keep up with the pool school - read the Chem section, let it sink in, read it again - and it'll all feel less daunting. Knowledge is power when it comes to pools.

I wouldn't do the pool store thing - I learned the hard way. Really - a good test kit and knowing how to use it saves me a ton of $.

If you dont have access to the house for the next 30 days make sure that the pool service is still coming. Else try to stop by once a week and throw in some pucks in that floater if nothing else. When we took possession of our house the pool had gone from "nice" to "pond". If your house is in any financial stress the maintenance stops the moment you sign the paperwork.

lightingguy said:
Congrats on the house.

BBB is definitely the way to go - especially in Vegas since you'll be keeping the pool open all year. I couldn't recommend the TF-100 more highly. The cheaper test kits dont have an accurate Chlorine Test (FAS-DPD). Judging by that floater in the pool your CYA is high and the FAS-DPD test is essential. Keep up with the pool school - read the Chem section, let it sink in, read it again - and it'll all feel less daunting. Knowledge is power when it comes to pools.

I wouldn't do the pool store thing - I learned the hard way. Really - a good test kit and knowing how to use it saves me a ton of $.

If you dont have access to the house for the next 30 days make sure that the pool service is still coming. Else try to stop by once a week and throw in some pucks in that floater if nothing else. When we took possession of our house the pool had gone from "nice" to "pond". If your house is in any financial stress the maintenance stops the moment you sign the paperwork.
Thanks for the advice. The pool school and all the different tests & chemicals is a bit daunting at first but I'm sure we'll work our way through it with the great help on this board. We have access to the house and backyard during this time but I won't be monitoring it that closely due to proximity so I may just use pucks for the next month or so and then make the switch to BBB.

Congrats on the house :cheers:

Let me know if you want me to get you in touch with my buddy over there. He works for the company that probably finished that pool, and he might be able to provide some insight.

I noticed your avatar is "missing". I didn't think that was gonna last real long (this is a family site!). Stick with us and you'll have the nicest pool on the block!

Congrats on your new pool and house :goodjob: I am thinking that I would be more excited about your pool than your house :-D :-D . I know that because we spend 90% of our time in our backyard :cheers: :cheers:

simicrintz said:
Congrats on the house :cheers:

Let me know if you want me to get you in touch with my buddy over there. He works for the company that probably finished that pool, and he might be able to provide some insight.

Thanks for the offer I'd really appreciate it when you get the time. We went back over last night and I took a flash light. There are definitely elbows in the bottom of those pipes and they look like they all meet up underneath. I also found what might be a valve possibly inline with them but I didn't feel like digging up a bunch of rocks in the middle of the night.

Brentr said:
Congrats on your new pool and house :goodjob: I am thinking that I would be more excited about your pool than your house :-D :-D . I know that because we spend 90% of our time in our backyard :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks and us too.

Here's a picture of the filter & pumping station. Weird thing was those 2 vertical pipes went out the front wall and stopped. It appears they might've been trying to set up solar on the roof or something??? I cut & capped those due to the VA inspectors coming and not wanting to deal with them on the subject.

21aznnd.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.