Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: floor finish - worth the additional cost

1. Back To Top    #1

floor finish - worth the additional cost

Hi-

We're into the process of the pool build. Freeform pool ...

Here in OKLA CITY area, there seems to be not many people choosing Durazzo or PebbleTec over traditional plaster. The reason I say this is my pool builder is having a hard time getting a couple of the plastering contractors to provide Durazzo projects.

So, the upgrade pricing is showing around $6000-$8000 upgrade over the traditional plaster cost.

Without ever seeing a Durazzo pool, is the $6000-$8000 upgrade in cost WORTH it?

I'm really wanting a smoother finish and if it lasts longer, that's another benefit.

Our pool cost is running in the $80,000 +/- cost so I'm looking at a 8%-10% additional cost for the Durazzo choice. I just don't know if worth it or not.

Thoughts?
    Researching pools - future pool owner! (hoping for inground, gunite/concrete, 18'-22' x 38'-42' approx, hot tub)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: floor finish - worth the additional cost

I would think of it in terms of cost per year of life. You said it's a 6-8K upgrade, but over what base cost? For example, if it costs 10K for regular plaster (~10 year lifespan) and 18K for pebbletec (20+ year lifespan), it would certainly be worth it. I don't know anything about Durazzo. Hope that helps!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the input.

I don't know the cost of the plaster - I haven't asked my builder but will ask and see if he can tell me that line item.

but, I think what you have described is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. The issue is I've had 2 quotes, 1 seems high (granted, based on limited information that I have), the 2nd quote seems more inline with what I've heard but seems like that applicator isn't an approved applicator. MFG seems to not care too much so I guess we're just a small market ... I can't find any metro area pools that say they have Durazzo as a finish. still hunting ...

considering PebbleTec's PebbleSheen as an alternative and seeing if there might be another applicator who would have a good reputation to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I would think of it in terms of cost per year of life. You said it's a 6-8K upgrade, but over what base cost? For example, if it costs 10K for regular plaster (~10 year lifespan) and 18K for pebbletec (20+ year lifespan), it would certainly be worth it. I don't know anything about Durazzo. Hope that helps!
    Researching pools - future pool owner! (hoping for inground, gunite/concrete, 18'-22' x 38'-42' approx, hot tub)

4. Back To Top    #4

I have some additional information and my upgrade pricing is around $48-$52 LF for this product.

If I can really get longer life and a nice look, smooth surface, I want to pursue this.

It's really driving me crazy but the installers won't provide projects to be able to see either Durazzo or PebbleTec's products and I'm BLIND going in on this upgrade. Just not sure what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by oklapool2010
    thanks for the input.

I don't know the cost of the plaster - I haven't asked my builder but will ask and see if he can tell me that line item.

but, I think what you have described is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. The issue is I've had 2 quotes, 1 seems high (granted, based on limited information that I have), the 2nd quote seems more inline with what I've heard but seems like that applicator isn't an approved applicator. MFG seems to not care too much so I guess we're just a small market ... I can't find any metro area pools that say they have Durazzo as a finish. still hunting ...

considering PebbleTec's PebbleSheen as an alternative and seeing if there might be another applicator who would have a good reputation to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun