Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fading Endpoint on CH Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Fading Endpoint on CH Test

I have not been able to successfully perform a CH test due to the fading endpoint. The posts I have read here say copper in the water is to blame for the fading endpoint. I do not see any signs of copper staining. Do I need to test for copper, or even worry about it? I suspect the copper came from algaecides from the previous owners. When they demo the pool to me they mentioned taking the water into Leslie's Pool and asking them to fix it.
    approximately 14,000 gallon polygonal pool. Pentair SWCG, Pentair VS, Pentair cartridge filter, Fafco Solar Panels, and a Pentair Legend pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fading Endpoint on CH Test

There is a post in the Testing and Balancing section on extended testing instructions. Have you tried following the recommendations in it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Dave, I tried the first suggestion which was to add five drops of the reagent first before the buffer which unfortunately did not work. I need to grab some distilled water for the second solution. That will allow me to test for the calcium hardness level. This obviously needs to be tested, but what I am asking is do I need to be worried about the presence of copper in my water.
    approximately 14,000 gallon polygonal pool. Pentair SWCG, Pentair VS, Pentair cartridge filter, Fafco Solar Panels, and a Pentair Legend pool sweep.

4. Back To Top    #4

Without additional signs of copper in the water, I wouldn't worry about it. The CH test can react to several different metals, some of which are harmless.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jason. Assuming rain water is metal free I should slowly get a drop over time.

6. Back To Top    #6

The dilution method and the speed stir worked. My CH is at 360. Does this mean I need to keep a very watchful eye on my TA and PH? It is a SWCG plaster pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Actually 360 isn't bad at all. Post a full set of test results and we an better advise on what, if anything, needs adjusting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Dave,

Certainly. Here they are:
    FC 6.5
    CC 0.0
    PH 7.5
    TA 80
    CH 360
    CYA 65 (added on Thursday, July 22) and measured on Monday so I suspect it is still rising some)

I actually a little concerned that I may be producing too much chlorine. It is a 20% which is as low as it can go and pump run time is at 6.5 hours. I need to figure out my turn time. It is a Pentair VS.f

9. Back To Top    #9

I hope "PH 6.5" is a typo; if it was 7.5, I'd say your numbers are sweet, except it's a salt pool.... well, the numbers can still be sweet!
    If pH really is 6.5, you want to bring it up to the mid-7's pronto.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

10. Back To Top    #10

Paulr, yes it was a typo, and the ph is 7.5. Thank you for pointing that out. I fixed my post.

11. Back To Top    #11

Your numbers are sweeeet, well except that your FC is a little high. You might consider running your SWCG on a different timer from your pump so you can adjust the FC down a bit. I wouldn't recommend less than 6 hours of pump run time, but others run their's less.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Dave, would I just wire the timer in between the power transformer for the SWCG and the existing timer? Here's a picture of the setup:

Here's one with the door open:

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, that's what I would do. You just have to make sure the timer motor has power all the time so it keeps time. Since you have power into the dual timer box, that's easy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator