Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can someone recommend a timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Can someone recommend a timer

Can someone recommend a timer for our above-ground pool? It's running a Hayward 1hp pump and we're going to add an Intex SWG to it. A while ago, I bought an Intermatic from Home Depot that said it was for pools, but the thing caught fire, and we ended up having to replace the pump.

Thanks!
    20,000G Freeform I.G., Pebble Finish, Rock Waterfall, (2) 2.0HP Jandy Pumps - one filtration & one waterfall, Jandy 60 sq. ft. DE filter, In-floor Cleaning, LXI 4000 Gas Heater, Jandy Aqualink controller, LED lighting

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can someone recommend a timer

Quote Originally Posted by lbulmer
    but the thing caught fire
    That sounds like improper installation to me. I've never before heard of an intermatic timer catching fire; those things are built very well.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

It was an inexpensive one, and although it said it was for pools, it may have been for smaller ones. It was just a plug-in timer, and the pumped plugged into it. It wasn't hardwired.
    20,000G Freeform I.G., Pebble Finish, Rock Waterfall, (2) 2.0HP Jandy Pumps - one filtration & one waterfall, Jandy 60 sq. ft. DE filter, In-floor Cleaning, LXI 4000 Gas Heater, Jandy Aqualink controller, LED lighting

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, OK. A plug-in timer, as in a little box that plugs into the wall with switches on it? That's strange that it would be recommended for pools...those things aren't made to handle much juice.

An intermatic mechanical timer like this is what many people (including myself) use.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

While the Intermatic mechanical timers are the Mac-Daddy of pool timers, I've been running an electronic Intermatic timer for over a year starting our 1½hp pump 3 times a day and it's held up well so far. I'm not sure how it'd hold up with a pump and SWCG though.

You need to look for one that's rated in hp to match your pump. That way you'll know it's designed to handle starting your pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a TORK hard wired before the GFI. PB got it at Lowe's I think. Price was about 85.00
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

How about the Hayward Timer Microprocessor SP1500FT? Anyone have any experience with it? We have a Hayward pump that it would work on.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have 3 Intermatic timers, two mechanical and one digital. No problems what so ever.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have been using Intermatic mechanicals since 1970. They are really reliable. I have had them fried due to lightning, and all I had to do was swap the clock motor. (Don't believe that stuff about it doesn't strike twice.) Try that with a digital!
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.