Help With End Stages Of Treatment

Aug 21, 2008
I've been workin' the steps for about a week, and I'm so close now that I don't want to accidentally make any steps backwards.

Thanks in advance! I am using a TF50 test kit.

Last night, our FC was at 12, and this morning DH said it tested at 11.5. However I tested the same sample again when I was running the full scope of tests and I came out with 10.5. It has been sitting on the counter, out of direct sunlight, for a couple of hours. Would that matter?

pH: 7.5
TA: 120
FC: (either 11.5 or 10.5) see above
CC: .5

CYA won't test accurately because we added 2 big socks yesterday, so I didn't run it. We did that wrong. We put the socks in front of the water jet, but that didn't work out as well as I had hoped. We have small undissolved flakes in the water.

CYA is part of my question. We still have some vacuuming to do. How do we keep the CYA level calculated and maintained properly if it takes a week to dissolve and we're vacuuming to waste?

Also, besides vacuuming, what else should we be doing now?

Yes, it does matter that the sample had been sitting there for a couple hours. You should do tests as soon as possible after taking the sample. Chlorine disappears faster in a small sample pot than it will in a real pool. Not sure exactly where it goes, I'll let the chemists explain that one!

loop_pea answered your FC question.

CYA is part of my question. We still have some vacuuming to do. How do we keep the CYA level calculated and maintained properly if it takes a week to dissolve and we're vacuuming to waste?
1. If you have a lot of CYA on the pool floor, set the multi-port on filter and suck it up, then vacuum to waste.

2. Even though you can't test yet, assume your dosage was correct and make all your plans on that calculated doasge......How much did you plan to raise CYA?

3. How does your water look?

There isn't a lot of CYA on the floor, at least that I can see. Just noticed some floating particles when I went to take samples. I used the Pool Calculator for the CYA - I had 10 and was trying to bring it up to 40 per that.

The water is still cloudy and a little green.

Thanks for your help. I just scrubbed and vaccummed for an hour or so, then checked my readings. After sitting in the sun all day:

FC 9
CC .5
pH: 7.5
TA 120

I am happy that the FC is holding relatively well. It took me days to get to this point. :cheers:

I will bump it up to 16 and see what happens.

I have another question: TPS sold DH a bottle of clarifier, telling him it would make the dead algae clump together and thus make it easier to vaccuum. He put some in a few days ago, and it is true that we now have big clumps of algae. Did that mess anything up, or conversely, should we add more to make it easier to vaccuum ?

You should vacuum those clumps and any oother solid debris that sinks to the floor. I personally don't think clarifiers are reliable enough to recommend them but there are anecdotal reports here on the forum of them performing very well. That said, there are more reports of the clarifier either doing nothing or not of much help at all.

Yes, I am now vaccuuming at least twice a day. I was away from home and trusted DH and the kids to maintain the pool. When I came back, it was green and I found out that DH had just been dumping in chlorine and backwashing. On top of that we had to replace a valve under the pool, which meant we lost quite a bit of water. By the time all that was rectified, the FC wasn't holding, so I finally ordered my test kit and confirmed my suspicions that the CYA level was abysmally low. Then we did a big family scrub session and I took over.

I added a bit too much bleach in last night, because FC jumped to 18, but it was still 18 this morning when I got up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.