Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone Having Problems With Spiders Around Their Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone Having Problems With Spiders Around Their Pool?

We installed a new inground pool this year. We are noticing a large amount of spiders around it. A few are making their way into it. Really gross as I have found a few very large ones in the skimmers. I started spraying around it and the patio. Is anyone else having the same issue and if so, what are you using?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone Having Problems With Spiders Around Their Pool?

We have always had lots of them. They sit there between the tile and the coping and wait for prey. There isn't much that you can do about them really aside from just learning to live with them. Do be careful reaching into the skimmer though since some do bite (wolf spiders) and it hurts, although they aren't dangerous to us.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have seen some, but none lately. They seem to come in bunches when they do come.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I see spiders all the time. In the water, on the side and usually always one in either skimmer. If it's in the water or inside the coping, I'll pull it out with the net, otherwise I leave them alone.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sometimes we have quite a few, small ones on the water, and larger ones on the top rails. They don't bother too much.

6. Back To Top    #6

We get lots of wolf spiders around here. I use a product like this one from lowes for cricket controll but it seems to kill every insect that touches it. I sprinkle it around my perimiter.
    http://www.naturalstockroom.com/mother-earth-d.html
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

7. Back To Top    #7

DE does work wonder on crawling bugs, but I thought is lost its effectiveness when it got wet. Do you have any problems with that when using it around your pool?
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

8. Back To Top    #8

We have started seeing spiders (not thrilled about this) but seems like they aren't the "bad" ones but not ideal. Appears to be the 6 spotted fishing spider or Wolf spider and they as Shane1 has mentioned above but would like them to go away. Yes they are helping to get rid of other bugs, but I don't like sharing my pool with them.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

9. Back To Top    #9

I've always had spiders around my pool. Seems like I have 1 or 2 in each skimmer every day when I dump them. I tend to let them be -- they eat mosquitoes and other insects I'd rather not have in my backyard...

What I've noticed a lot this year is frogs. I probably have one in my deep end skimmer (where the majority of the suction is) every couple of days. I've also noticed no fewer than a dozen tiny frogs (1/2" or so in length) roaming around, hiding in the numerous gaps between my coping and the concrete deck. I fished one of those little guys out of the pool yesterday.
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

10. Back To Top    #10

I typically have lots every year as well. I have managed to slow them down a bit this year by spreading some Ortho granule pesticide around the perimeter of the pool. So now they flee to my house.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

They are all around my pool. I just let them be. But I did read to get rid of spiders to spray for other insects. They only stay because of the food (other insects) and if there is no food they will leave.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
    We get lots of wolf spiders around here. I use a product like this one from lowes for cricket controll but it seems to kill every insect that touches it. I sprinkle it around my perimiter.
    http://www.naturalstockroom.com/mother-earth-d.html
    I just googled "Wolf Spider" and immediately regret that decision. If I saw one of those things, around my pool I'd would run away as far as I could and never return
    =================================================
    35,000 gals. vinyl pool, SwimPure SWG, Hayward 1HP Pump, no heater
    Long Island, New York
    =================================================

13. Back To Top    #13

I used to hate spiders but I hate mosquitoes more. So, now I leave the spiders alone so they can eat the skeeters.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

We have spiders around and in the pool. Most of them are small, but I do find a big honker in the skimmer or in the pockets where the bouy line for the shallow end marker goes now and then.

They don't bother me, but I have a grandson who about jumps out of his skin when he sees any spider. I spray for them occasionally and it helps for a little while, but they always come back.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

15. Back To Top    #15

I know this is an old thread but we just put a pool in an the wolf spiders (and/or their cousin the hunter spider) are all over, it's crazy, I can see a few floating in the bottom of the pool dead. We leave our noodles in the pool all the time and they love to hang out on them. They also hide right under the coping and in the skimmers. It's a real turn off for me for the pool. Sucks. I might start doing some granulars around the pool perimeter and see if that helps.

16. Back To Top    #16

It's kinda hard to kill spiders unless you (or your bug guy) can spray them directly. You have a bunch of spiders simply because there is an ample food source for them. Kill their food, and they will go somewhere else. Killing the mosquitos and gnats is easier said than done. However, with the treat of Zika and West Nile, I've been fogging the yard 2x per day for the last few months. We are getting far fewer mosquito bites, and I'm seeing a lot few arachnids creeping around the pool and in the house lately.
    the
    On a related note....when they started building the house next door several months ago, we got inundated by spiders. A few of the wolf spiders were the size of my hand. I didn't know we had tarantulas here in Texas!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

Bumping this thread as I just killed a wolf spider about 4" across that was in the skimmer basket...with babies. Ewwwww. How the heck can I prevent them in the pool?

I have sprayed my dry stack stone and also the lids inside my skimmer basket but we have always had them.

The problem is that we like to swim laps at night and I have caught one staring me down from the coping more than once. One time it startled me so badly I kicked away and slammed my foot into the Wet Edge stone and cut the bejeesus out of three of my toes. Didn't heal for a month.

Help!
    8,000 gallon in-ground gunnite geometric. Wet Edge Satin Matrix. Triple overflow water feature.
    Hayward - TCell 15 SWG; TriStar VS Main Pump; SwimClear 425 Cartridge Filter; ProLogic 4 Automation, SuperII Water Feature Pump; Polaris 280 w/ Booster
    Link to my Build