mystery bubbles - diagnosing air leak

claus

Aug 21, 2007
Redmond WA
I have an inground pool with integrated spa and when the circulation pump runs, I have a steady stream of bubbles coming out of the outlets. I assume air must be drawn in somewhere on the suction side. However, looking through the clear lid of the strainer basket which is just ahead of the pump, I don't see any bubbles or air collecting. Also, when the system is switched (via electric valves) to circulate through the spa, I don't see any bubbles coming out of the spa outlets.

Any suggestion on how I can determine where this air is coming from? Thanks in advance!

Claus

in most circumstances, air can be drawn into the system on the suction side (pre pump right up to the pump) but NOT after the pump, although I have heard that air can be introduced at the filter as well if there is a bad spider gasket.

Now, when you switch to the spa, it is possible that there is less resistance on the pressure side of the pump compared to running it to the pool, this in itself could start/stop the suction of air at a pre pump location.

My first thought would be to look at the pump itself, the pump vibrates, this could cause the drain plug to loosen a bit, or the lid to loosen a bit - those are usually the first two culprits - in either case, put some pool lube on the gaskets and re seat, re tighten everything.

vegas_dp said:
Do you have a SWG ? bubbles do coime from that also. Small aount...

I don't have an SWG (had to look it up to even figure out what it is!). I do have an ozonator (sp?), but I don't think it can be responsible for the amount of air I'm seeing.

I will check the drain plug on the basket strainer enclosure, but I suspect if it wasn't tight I would get some water leaking when the pump stops - and I haven't seen any water or noticed an increase in water loss.

Just an FYI that air can get through small enough spaces that water can't, however, if I'm reading between the lines here, I'm sensing it's a good amount of air, so I'd have to say the pump lid or spider gasket are to blame.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.