First "complication" with new SWG

Rescue30

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2008
New Jersey
I installed the Autopilot SC-60 2 weeks ago. Everything was going great ! Water was crystal clear even during this heat wavr we're having. FC was always between 2-3 , with no CC. Saturday was 100 degrees, we were not home so noone used the pool . At 10 Pm I checked the Fc was 3.2 . I am on Power Level 2 at 60%. Yesterday was 85 degrees and the pool had a lot of use , 4 different families with lots of kids . we also had a major downpour of rain. The FC last night when pump was off was 3.2. This morning the FC was 1.6 ?? and pool is a little cloudy , my numbers are :

FC 1.6
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 80
Salt 3000

I pumped up the Autopilot to 24 hour Boost , is there anything else I need to do ? Clarifier ? THANKS

When you have a lot of people swimming you should bump the FC level up a little extra both before and after. There will also tend to be a little clouding of the water afterwards. As long as the FC level doesn't go to zero, a little extra chlorine is all you really need. The clouding should clear up on it's own by the next day.

For that reason I like to run my FC level towards the upper end of the recommended range, ie around 5 ppm. It gives a buffer for chlorine depleting events. Also if I am having a major pool party, during that party I usually give it a two hour super chlorinate cycle.

Been running my SWG for over 5 years now. 2-3ppm is asking for trouble. The three key things I have found:

1) Make sure your CYA is within the SWG manufacturers range (normally 60 to 80). This is critical, especially as summer progresses and there is more sun on the pool and the water gets warmer.

2) Keep the FC at 4+, I keep mine at around 5. SWGs are low and slow, you need an adequate reserve of free CL in the water to deal with varying bather loads.

3) If you do get cloudiness, use bleach immediately to raise your FC. Even if you don't get to a "shock" level, the bleach will help clear the water of cloudiness (which is almost always algae starting to bloom). I will add a full, large bottle of 6% bleach as soon as I seen any cloudiness (very rare, but has happened to me once this season after the water warmed up significantly). Plus, turn up the SWG - if you try and rely on the SWG only, it can take days to clear the water.

If you don't want to run your FC higher, then make sure you turn your SWG up a day before you plan to have a lot of swimmers and leave it up for a day or so afterwards.

Thanks for your help ! I turned on "Boost 24" last night and had the pump run all night, this morning it was much clearer and by this afternoon it was all cleared up . I was trying to run on the lower end of the range 2-3 ppm to make the Cell work less. i think I'm going to try it on Level 2 at 75% and see where that puts me , that should give me enough FC to be closer to 4-4.5

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.