Good evening everyone.
I am having an odd problem with my pool pump and it seems it started over the weekend when we had some pretty severe weather.
After the weather cleared up I was continuously tripping my circuit for the pool when it was operating. If I unplugged the pool and had my pump i use to drain the pool running everything was fine, but as soon as i plugged in the pool pump the circuit would trip.
I figured perhaps some water seeped into a junction box or something, so I let everything sit for about 24 hours to dry out. Now the problem is I plug the pump in and it starts and runs fine, for about five minute but then it appears it overheats and shuts off. I say overheats because the motor is extremely hot after it shuts off and can be touched for just a second before burning yourself. It has a burnt grease smell emitting from it. The circuit breaker is not being tripped any longer, but the pump overheats.
Could it still be a wiring issue on the outlet the pump is plugged in to? I am kind of handy so I was considering taking everything out and tightening up my wires to check for loose connections. I unfortunately don't own an electrical meter any longer but I may be able to borrow one, but not quite sure what I should look for as i am handy, but not an electrician
Or is there a problem with the motor itself? If I let the motor cool down, which takes an hour or two, it will start up again,run for about ten minutes, and then overheat again. I obviously don't want to keep doing this because I will probably just damage it further. Could it be a blown seal?
The model of the pump is a StaRite JWPA5E7L-2A1.