Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with a StaRite pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem with a StaRite pump

Good evening everyone.

I am having an odd problem with my pool pump and it seems it started over the weekend when we had some pretty severe weather.

After the weather cleared up I was continuously tripping my circuit for the pool when it was operating. If I unplugged the pool and had my pump i use to drain the pool running everything was fine, but as soon as i plugged in the pool pump the circuit would trip.

I figured perhaps some water seeped into a junction box or something, so I let everything sit for about 24 hours to dry out. Now the problem is I plug the pump in and it starts and runs fine, for about five minute but then it appears it overheats and shuts off. I say overheats because the motor is extremely hot after it shuts off and can be touched for just a second before burning yourself. It has a burnt grease smell emitting from it. The circuit breaker is not being tripped any longer, but the pump overheats.

Could it still be a wiring issue on the outlet the pump is plugged in to? I am kind of handy so I was considering taking everything out and tightening up my wires to check for loose connections. I unfortunately don't own an electrical meter any longer but I may be able to borrow one, but not quite sure what I should look for as i am handy, but not an electrician

Or is there a problem with the motor itself? If I let the motor cool down, which takes an hour or two, it will start up again,run for about ten minutes, and then overheat again. I obviously don't want to keep doing this because I will probably just damage it further. Could it be a blown seal?

The model of the pump is a StaRite JWPA5E7L-2A1.

Any thoughts?
    12' x 24' 8600 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter
    1 H.P. Pump - Flow rate 100 GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem with a StaRite pump

It sounds like the motor is shot. Does it appear to be running full speed during the time it is running?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Seems to be running no different then it normally runs when it is running. My pressure is good, so I don't think it is running less then full speed.
    12' x 24' 8600 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter
    1 H.P. Pump - Flow rate 100 GPM

4. Back To Top    #4

I noticed your post was from last year, but while googling I saw your post.

I am having the same exact problems, with the eact same motor model, the motor runs fine when it is dry outside, but when we have a heavy rain and the next morning I go to turn on the pump/motor it throws my breaker switch an I have to wait for a few hours for it dry out. then reset the breaker and off we go.. But today the motor was running this morning and it just stopped sometime during the day and just won't go on at all now.
    Did you end up finding out that the motor just finally went and have it replaced ?

Sue

5. Back To Top    #5

Sue -- If your pump is on a gfci (which it should be) it might be the gfci gone bad. Is it a gfci breaker?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit