Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: omg added m acid instead of bleach Help

1. Back To Top    #1

omg added m acid instead of bleach Help

my boy friend who knows nothing and must be blind added almost 1 gallon of MA instead of bleach what should I do now
    Yesterday's numbers

FC 9.0
    CC.5
    TA 110
    PH 7.5
    CYA70

Asked him to add about gallon of bleach p/up MA and added about a gallon!!!!!! Having him add 2 lg boxes of borax now. Shat else should I do till I can get home tomorrow? Add water to dilute will that help?
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: omg added m acid instead of bleach Help

Where those test numbers before or after he put the MA in?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

yesterday's before added MA not home to get new numbers Guess I can't do anything before taking new numbers tomorrow night and buy more Borax right?
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, get a lot of borax. I believe that you will need three or three and a half boxes of borax.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks added two lg boxes I had. Will ck numbers tomorrow night and add what else I need. Will store MA in a different place learned a good lesson. Thns again for the help.
    Central, VA

6. Back To Top    #6

If the MA was full-strength (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid), then your pH would have dropped to 6.84 and your TA down to 88.2. Adding two boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (76 ounces for each box) would raise the pH to 7.15 and the TA to 101.2. The pH might be higher from carbon dioxide outgassing. If it's not, then you could add a third box of Borax. Don't worry -- this isn't a disaster and the exposure time to the lower pH was short. If he poured quickly in one place not over a return flow, then that could weaken the vinyl in the area where he poured, but hopefully that's not what he did.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Or tell so boyfriend to be careful next time or he is on timeout from swimming haha. JK, and as others said I am sure you will be fine.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Tonight's #'s
    FC 6.5
    CC .5
    PH 7.2
    TA 90
    CH 220
    CYA 70+
    Temp 84
    I'll add bleach to bring up to 10. Then should I add baking soda to raise TA or Borax to raise PH or our these numbers OK and leave to rise on their own?
    Thanks for the support
    Central, VA

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by koliver13
    Tonight's #'s
    FC 6.5
    CC .5
    PH 7.2
    TA 90
    CH 220
    CYA 70+
    Temp 84
    I'll add bleach to bring up to 10. Then should I add baking soda to raise TA or Borax to raise PH or our these numbers OK and leave to rise on their own?
    Thanks for the support
    You could just leave it alone. Or aerate. But you don't need to add anything else for pH. Haven't you traumatized that pool enough recently?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

thanks aerating whew
    Central, VA