Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump motor exposure to sun

1. Back To Top    #1
    North Richland Hills, TX

Pump motor exposure to sun

I had to replace my pump motor yesterday (2HP). All my equipment is on the south side of my house, so it gets sun most all day and also gets the afternoon sun on its' western exposed side.
    Would there be any benefit to trying to shade the motor? If so, any ideas on how to do so? I know the motor needs good ventilation regardless. TIA!
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    Most of the time being in the sun doesn't matter. Some models will occasionally overheat if they are in direct sunlight on a hot day. There are also some minor advantages to keeping water off of the motor, though again most motors are fine in the rain. For a properly made pool pump motor, keeping the sun and rain off the motor might extend it's life by a few months (out of ten to twenty years).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    I believe I answered this on the "other" forum!

4. Back To Top    #4

Suwanee, GA
    Also worth noting that there is some evidence that a PVC pipe's impact strength can be weakened by direct UV exposure. From what I've read the pipes pressure strength is unaffected.
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.